Hikvision NVR-108-A/8P (HiWatch)

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a NVR-108-A/8P up in the loft (purchased 2019 in the UK) and I am trying to find the latest firmware for it. Its current versions are:

• Firmware Version V3.4.96 build 180124
  • Encoding Version V5.0 build 171115
  • Web Version V4.0.1 build 170814
  • Plugin Version V3.0.6.27

A quick search for nvr-108-a/8p firmware on Google returns many results. The top one initially seems to be quite promising, although they appear to be for Hilook products, not for my HiWatch. Are they essentially similar products under different branding?

3 out of the 4 directory listings on the above page contain the number 108 but that's where any similarities seem to end.

If I visit the Hikvision page:
and search for 108, I get firmware's for the following NVR's:

• NVR-108H-D/8P
  • NVR-108MH-C/8P
  • NVR-108MH-D/W(C)
But, unfortunately, my NVR-108-A/8P is not there :(

I won't be too heartbroken if I can't find a new firmware for my NVR but if anyone could shed any light on how to find it, I would be most grateful.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the NVR not working for you?
Are you missing a feature or function that new f/w would provide?

If the answer to both the above is "no", I personally would not try new f/w and risk turning the NVR into a door stop. :cool:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above. We have weekly posts made of someone bricking their device or losing a feature they used because the simply updated a device that was working for them.

If the release notes do not mention fixing a problem you have, then don't fix what ain't broke.

Reaction score
Hi TonyR and wittaj,

Thank you for the warnings but I've been in IT well over 20 years and flashing firmware's to many different types of devices is part of my remit. I test hardware products prior to public release (notably Netgear, Netduma and British Telecom). I know what the risks are…

The first step in determining whether an NVR firmware update is worth it or not, is to find out if one is available in the first place, hence me asking here in the ‘NVR Firmware’ forum. If I can establish if a firmware update is available and it’s definitely the correct one, I can then read through its release notes and make an informed decision as to update or not.

If an update is miniscule and not worth it, then the chances of me updating it are very low.

However, my NVR is 5 years old and it is now connected to the internet, so determining whether a new firmware is available, should seem prudent.

If I found an update to my NVR addressed security flaws or other significant issues which I was unaware of, then the chances of me updating it (and justification in doing so) are obviously high.

But, without knowing if a new firmware is available, how would anyone know whether it’s worth updating or not?

My original question was not asking if I should update the firmware on my NVR, it was asking if a firmware is available, but thank you for taking the time to reply :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi TonyR and wittaj,

Thank you for the warnings but I've been in IT well over 20 years and flashing firmware's to many different types of devices is part of my remit. I test hardware products prior to public release (notably Netgear, Netduma and British Telecom). I know what the risks are…

My original question was not asking if I should update the firmware on my NVR, it was asking if a firmware is available, but thank you for taking the time to reply :)
FWIW, members here don't know unless we ask.....
Good to know you're making an informed decision and can and will accept the outcome either which way it leads. :cool: