Motion Alerts at night

Pastelaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have noticed I get better motion alerts at night using substream that full resolution.
I get that would be due the using less CPU when using substreams...but....

8 cams
If I don't use substream, the cpu hovers around 14-16% at night
If I use substream, the cpu hovers around 8-10 % at night

So the difference is not that much and didn't think it would cause this to be the issue.
When a car is in my driveway, which is very lit and very clear, it detects the motion of the car at high 80% to low 90%, so you would think it would trigger a motion alert, but it won't.
It completely ignores the motion and sometimes says "nothing found"...other times, it's like nothing was there even though "Analyze with AI" detects the motion and tracks it...but it won't fire an alert.

This only happens at night when not using substreams. If using substream, it catches almost all motion at night.. even small animals.

I thought AI would better capture motion when set to full resolution, but for some reason, it completely ignores it when set to full resolution.
Any ideas of what it could be?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Code Project will downrez the mainstream to I believe 640x480.

Without seeing screenshots and video of your motion, we can only offer generics.

If the cameras are on default/auto settings and the vehicles are blurs, AI was not developed to detect car blurs.

If it is B/W, the AI can struggle with detecting compared to color.

Pastelaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This an example of the other night. As you can see, it clearly detects the car, but why wouldn't it send an alert. It started detecting the car since It came in the driveway.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would need to see screenshots of your settings.

Maybe it is a profile setting, maybe it timed out, lots of variables.

Pastelaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have it to be very sensitive. But like I said.. if using substreams, I almost get everything everytime...it's only when I don't use substream.
What I want to do is.. since I notice the cpu impact is barely noticeable between using subs or not, I figured, why not just use full resolution all the time to make better capture motion?
But I noticed it's worse when using full resolution.

Like I said, I get small cats passing by but miss an entire car?.. makes no sense lol.
Thing is I have a couple of monitors in different areas of the house with the UI3 to live view 24/7, and I see they look better when using full resolution, obviously.

So I wanted to set BI to full reso since the CPU is hardly impacted. The BI machine is on a gigabit connection as well.. so it has to be some setting or something.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So are you saying the CPAI real time detected a car and didn't send the alert or is this in test and tuning?

What is the CPU doing during analysis - if it maxes out because you are using the mainstream that could be why it isn't alerting.

Most of us make the algorithm simple at night and not edge vector.

Pastelaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right.. it would detect the car like you see on the screenshot, but would not fire an alert.. and I'm like what?... why not?
The cpu barely budges when motion is detected with multiple cameras triggered.

I have a Ryzen 7 5700-G 8 core with 16gigs of ram.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In that case it is an issue with your alerts settings.

How are you trying to be alerted - email, text message, push, etc?

Pastelaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just push alerts.. they work fine.. during the day no issue.. during the night, no issues unless I use full reso.

Pastelaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
but I get no alerts in blue iris either... not even in the console.. it completely ignores or misses the car, even though you can see it clearly sees the car.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That doesn't make any sense LOL.

Maybe a bad CPAI install that can't downrez properly or maybe a delete and add the camera back would fix it?

Pastelaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah it makes no sense haha...It's not a big deal, but I was just wondering what it could be or if it's a normal thing, but it can't be lol. Why would it work fine using subs, but not in full reso.

Last edited: