Site ads making site unusable on mobile Safari

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My Brave browser stats since switching on 5/13/24:

View attachment 194898
I've got Brave loaded. When I pulled it up, the last tab opened had this headline from July 8 of 2023. Wonder why I stopped using it? My specs are
    Trackers & ads blocked
  • 7.7MB
    Bandwidth saved
  • 17seconds
    Time saved
I guess I did not use if for long.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are DNS Ads blocking solutions on market... they works for all web browsers and almost all* websites..

I use Nextdns.io, for which I simply put DNS addresses in router configuration.
All clients (Mac, pc, iPhone, iPad, android) in network (ethernet, wifi) have automatically blocked ads on almost all* websites...

You can also configure NextDNS on any machine - simply by changing DNS configuration (pc/Mac/linux) or installing NextDNS mobile app (on mobile)..

* - excluding big 5, for which DNS solutions don't work: Google, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram or TickTok...

There are many solutions like that: AdGuard DNS, internal Ad Blocker on Unifi routers/consoles, Pi-Hole...

THis works very well here on ipcamtalk...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep well aware of how to block ads having managed roughly $30M annual in digital advertising sales for a large lifestyle publisher the past 10 years and started in the business in ‘93

A site can reach a point of over saturation of non-targeted, non-endemic network ads where you degrade the user experience to a point where not only are they ineffective but you stunt audience growth.
If the solution is to tell the users how to block the ads, you negatively effect revenue. Both reduce impressions and CTR which is what you get paid on.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep well aware of how to block ads having managed roughly $30M annual in digital advertising sales for a large lifestyle publisher the past 10 years and started in the business in ‘93

A site can reach a point of over saturation of non-targeted, non-endemic network ads where you degrade the user experience to a point where not only are they ineffective but you stunt audience growth.
If the solution is to tell the users how to block the ads, you negatively effect revenue. Both reduce impressions and CTR which is what you get paid on.
Totally understand your statement @bigredfish I guess its a fine line between making revenue from your site and not pissing off the hardcore users which I guess you make most your money from as they are constantly coming to your site.
The ads don't bother me as they are blocked from router end so I don't see them, but when browsing on mobile device away from the home they can be annoying, but I get it, just maybe they need reducing slightly and targeted better as if I see an add that appeals to me, then maybe just maybe I will investigate the product... But when I see adds for "Cream to make you last longer in the bedroom" I'm more concerned about "Shit how do they know :p "

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s an ugly business model that’s become almost impossible to sustain unless you’re Google/FB/Twatter. I truly feel for small site owners trying to monetize audience and manage growth costs.

And to clarify once again, it’s not opposition to Ads, I get the need for them better than most of you.
It’s a config problem of some type that began in the past 2 weeks that has multiple 300x250 and 300x600 display ads appearing stacked on top of each other and within content that is the problem.

I’ll shut up now and limit my participation to desktop where I can better manage the experience.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Totally understand your statement @bigredfish I guess its a fine line between making revenue from your site and not pissing off the hardcore users which I guess you make most your money from as they are constantly coming to your site.
The ads don't bother me as they are blocked from router end so I don't see them, but when browsing on mobile device away from the home they can be annoying, but I get it, just maybe they need reducing slightly and targeted better as if I see an add that appeals to me, then maybe just maybe I will investigate the product... But when I see adds for "Cream to make you last longer in the bedroom" I'm more concerned about "Shit how do they know :p "
One of the best replies this year about cream! :lmao: And yes the Ads are just blowing up my phone!

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I just wanted to reassure everybody here that it wasn't me :rofl:

I still get ads about being hooked up with Ukrainian singles

@bigredfish I hope you're not considering buying a Genesis :lol: