The official "WTF" thread

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get it. His father was American by birth making him American.

Nope, unfortunately.
He was born in Canada. His father being born in the U.S. is not a factor.

My first wife of 31 years was born in Honduras, Central America.
She came to California in 1966 at 15, had a green card, worked and paid taxes.
We married in '72, she remained a legal immigrant with a green card.
Our daughter was born in California in 1980 and of course, she was a U.S. citizen.
Wife got her citizenship in 1990 after going to classes, taking a test and applying. :cool:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Nope, unfortunately.
He was born in Canada. His father being born in the U.S. is not a factor.

My first wife of 31 years was born in Honduras, Central America.
She came to California in 1966 at 15, had a green card, worked and paid taxes.
We married in '72, she remained a legal immigrant with a green card.
Our daughter was born in California in 1980 and of course, she was a U.S. citizen.
Wife got her citizenship in 1990 after going to classes, taking a test and applying. :cool:
If you are born on American territory you are a US citizen. If you are an offspring of a US citizen you are a US citizen.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are born on American territory you are a US citizen. If you are an offspring of a US citizen you are a US citizen.
I'm just saying it's not automatic and there are some conditions; excerpt:

Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship at Birth by a Child Born Abroad
"In Wedlock" means a person is considered to be born in wedlock for the purposes of citizenship acquisition when the parents are:​
  • Legally married to each other at the time of the person’s conception or birth or within 300 days of the end of the marriage by death or divorce.
In all cases, either the U.S. citizen parent(s) or their alien spouse must be a genetic or gestational parent of the child to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child. If you have questions about this page or U.S. citizenship laws, you should contact a private attorney. You can also find information about the Child Citizenship Act on our site.​

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Insane story .. just insane ..

Klass was born in Canada. His mom was Canadian and his father was American, born and raised in New York. The family moved to the U.S. in 1959, and Klass has lived in the country ever since — believing he was a dual citizen.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ain't gonna happen at my place....I haven't watched much NFL in about 4 years now and this will drive the final nail in the coffin for me....hasta la vista, NFL! :cool: