Was looking into mini computer for a new Blue iris build. Thoughts on this

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, i have an old computer that im expecting to give any day. Either way i am trying to go for a smaller form factor. I am thinking about this pc, i wanted yalls thoughts on it. Also dont mind if i change out the ssd every couple of years. Also might even put an external on it.

wondering if anyone has a mini pc for their blue iris rig and could share some insight, tired of the big ol hunk i got and its over 8 years old. So th is pc would be 45x faster than my current one.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most here wouldn't recommend it as those are not designed for 24/7 operations. The processor is designed to favor lower temps over performance. USB drives will not keep up despite their speed ratings.

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most here wouldn't recommend it as those are not designed for 24/7 operations. The processor is designed to favor lower temps over performance. USB drives will not keep up despite their speed ratings.
yea but it has to be far better than my current pc, i just want a smaller for factor ready to go, i hear you on it running 24/7 and it may be having thermal issues. But i am pretty sure if you could keep it cool, it should have no problem running 24/7

Also if the usbs are not a good option im willing to give SSD a shot as surveillance it also at least allows you to check the health and you can replace them as it degrades.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, i have an old computer that im expecting to give any day. Either way i am trying to go for a smaller form factor. I am thinking about this pc, i wanted yalls thoughts on it. Also dont mind if i change out the ssd every couple of years. Also might even put an external on it.

wondering if anyone has a mini pc for their blue iris rig and could share some insight, tired of the big ol hunk i got and its over 8 years old. So th is pc would be 45x faster than my current one.
FYI when I looked at pc options .. the mini pc cost more than a used business class dell or hp in a sff small form factor.

That and the limited space for at least one 3.5" hdd made it clear that the mini pc form is not a good option even if you get a full cpu in it.

rekd0514

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running Blue Iris on a Lenovo M70q Gen 2 mini PC with a 2TB Seagate XF1230 Enterprise SSD. It is built with high writes in mind (3PBW) so it will last a long time for me. I currently have three 2MP and two 5MP cameras recording on motion to it.

EDIT: Also I am using a Coral TPU in the M.2 slot for Code Project AI.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That one you linked is overkill for Blue Iris. Try something with ryzen 5560u, 5600u, 5700u, something in that performance ballpark should be fine and cost half or less. Maybe go for 7735hs if you want to use it for more than Blue Iris. That bumps the price up some but it still should come out cheaper.

You should plan on running it with a very efficient Blue Iris config at a low CPU% most of the time so the fans aren't going bonkers all the time. That is the main issue with a mini PC. They may have fairly powerful CPUs but the cooling is vastly inferior to a typical desktop so they will get loud a lot quicker.

Some have a 2.5" SATA SSD slot but beware some 2.5" SATA hard drives are too thick to fit in some mini PCs.

External drives can work but in my experience they are not quite as reliable as internal.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I put one of these NUCs in my fathers house a couple years ago for his BI installation. I put a 4TB NVME SSD inside it. The thing is wonderful. It's small and quiet and perfect for his 4 camera setup around his home.