12 x 8MP - system requirements - discussion

Staff Curtis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jan, but I tried that already and it was not enough to bring the CPU usage down significantly in 4k. I also have some cameras running at 30fps now which made it even more difficult. I have come to just using the substreaming of the cameras in blue iris, and when I need more detail going to the Dahua DVR since it records 4k30fps in H265 without issue.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Test do not guess. Try the test will a fixed color shot. The compression depends on the amount of change in the picture. Study how the compress works. In color mode the camera white pixel is the same size as green
Very true @
SouthernYankee
EACH frame will have its own compression, and it will be due to how alike pixels colors there are vs different pixel colors. I think video goes through 2 compression methods. 1 for the frames and then one for the video packet.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
From another thread i've been discussing 8MP cameras and IPC-HDW5831R-ZE seems to be promising camera.

12 of these, Cray supercomputer or a more moderately priced i7 / push the boat out i9 ?
Are you sure that 8mp cameras are the best for your application? The 5831R isn't particularly sensitive at night and to that end, unless you have a well lit area day and night, you might be better off with one of the 4mp starlight+ cameras such as this: Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

The latter offers excellent night performance for a price less than 1/2 that of a 5831R. Only issue atm seems to be the mounting system could be improved. The 1/1.8 sensor offers much better night sensitivity. There is a similarly sensitive 8mp 1/1.8 sensor but it's a turret and they cost almost 5 times the 5831R each (@$2K) making them beyond most sensible budgets.

Reaction score
My two setups.
i3-8100 with hardware decoding off, H.265, no motion detection 2%CPU 500Mps. 100% when playback/
i9-9900K same 500Mps, H.265, no HW acceleration, motion detection, alerts etc 12% CPU. 30% less or more during playback.