1st IP Cam System Setup and Network Upgrade

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, hopefully I've done enough homework on this, so it won't be too bad of a newbie post. Please comment on any improvements / changes needed.

I'll start with the network part. Years ago, I installed cat5e cables / jacks in a number of rooms in the house. With the goal of adding an IP camera system, it's time to upgrade the network hardware and run some new cat5e cables. I have 18 Mpbs DSL internet service.

Existing Network (refer to pic 9)
DSL wifi router / modem (router / wifi turned off)
D-Link DIR 655 wireless N router
5 port gigabit switch by the router
5 port gigabit switch in the house
2nd D-Link DIR 655 (wired) at the opposite end of the house as an access point / switch

New Network (refer to pic 11)
This will be a dual network, with the cameras / NVR on one subnet and everything else on the main router and subnet.

Main Network
Same modem
Netgear Nighthawk x4S AC2600 wifi router (with VPN client enabled, probably OpenVPN)
8 port gigabit switch by the router
5 port gigabit switch in the house
D-Link DIR 655 (wired) at the opposite end of the house as an access point / switchView attachment 14718 View attachment 14719 View attachment 14720 View attachment 14721 View attachment 14722 View attachment 14723 View attachment 14724 View attachment 14725 View attachment 14726 View attachment 14727 View attachment 14728 View attachment 14729

Camera Network
TP-Link Archer C7 AC1900 router with WAN port connected to the Netgear router (for the cameras / NVR, located by the NVR)
8 port BV-TECH gigabit POE switch in the garage, connected to the Archer C7
8 port BV-TECH 10/100 POE switch by the NVR / Archer C7, connected to the Archer C7
16 channel Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 non-POE NVR connected to the Archer C7
9 Dahua IP cameras connected to the 2 POE switches

The main control for the NVR will be at the tv in the living room (HDMI / USB with a wireless mouse / keyboard). The cameras will also be viewable on the tv in the other end of the house. A tablet showing the 2 cameras pointing towards the front door will be on the wall next to the front door (the brick wall on the left is a blind spot currently).

Test Bench (refer to pic 10)
I have a test bench in the garage where I will start to get the network side set up. Once I have the cameras, I plan to set up the NVR and cameras on the bench to make sure that all are working correctly prior to installing the cameras. Once done, I plan to set up a camera on a 2x4 and check the view on my laptop prior to installation.

Camera Equipment, Locations, Views (refer to pics 1-10)

Initial IP Camera Equipment List

1x 16 channel Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 non-POE NVR
6x Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
1x Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5231E-Z)
2x Dahua Ultra Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW8232E-Z)

Note on lighting: There is an LED street light across the street, directly opposite the front door. It provides plenty of light on the front of the house. There is a motion detection security light on the corner of the house by the garage. There is a 20w LED light on the south side of the light (photocell). There is a motion detection security light to the side of the sliding glass door in the back. The back side of the house is very dark at night, though the neighbor behind me leaves his back porch light on all night (shines towards my house).

Camera Locations / ViewsView attachment 14718
Cam 1
Camera: Turret
Mount: Mounted directly to the side of the beam (7 1/2 - 8' high).
Area Viewed: Focused between side of my house and the neighbors house.
Distance: From the beam to the brick wall is 23'.
Night Illumination: Partially lit by the streetlight across the street, darker back by the camera. Will use onboard IR.

Cam 2
Mount: Mounted directly to the bottom of the beam (can't see the beam in the pic. 7' high).
Area Viewed: Focused between brick wall (this covers a blind spot, the front door is on the opposite side of the brick) and the driveway.
Distance: From the beam to the brick wall is 25 1/2'.
Night Illumination: Due to the street light, may not need any. Will use onboard IR if necessary.

Cam 3
Camera: Ultra Bullet
Mount: Mounted on the side of a junction box level with the bottom of the beam (can't see the beam in the pic. 7' high).
Area Viewed: Focused out from the front door towards the mailbox, street, and the side of the driveway. Key item is the mailbox and the street (mailbox is where the street / driveway meet).
Distance: Straight to the edge of the street is 52'. To the mailbox is 54'.
Night Illumination: Due to the streetlight, may not need any. Will use onboard IR if necessary.

Cam 4
Mount: Mounted directly on the wall on the left side of the front porch (7' high).
Area Viewed: Focused on the front porch and some of the front yard to the right.
Distance: From the wall to the opposite side of the porch is 19 1/2'
Night Illumination: Will probably need to use onboard IR due to the bushes in front of the porch blocking the street light.

Cam 5
Mount: mounted directly on the wall (6' high, below security light).
Area Viewed: Focused on the driveway / vehicles.
Distance: The driveway is 17 1/2' wide and 52' long. We have 2 vehicles, which get parked on the driveway about 6' back from the garage door.
Night Illumination: Due to the streetlight / motion security light, may not need any. Will use onboard IR if necessary.

Cam 6
Mount: Mounted directly to the side of the beam (7 1/2 - 8' high).
Area Viewed: Focused between the corners of the 2 houses.
Distance: From the beam to the edge of my house is 28'.
Night Illumination: There is a 20w LED light mounted on the center beam that lights up the area completely at night (on a photocell). Due to the LED night light, may not need any. Will use onboard IR if necessary.

Cam 7
Camera: Bullet
Mount: Mounted on the side of a junction box level with the bottom of the dark green plywood (above the white trim of the door / windows. 7 1/2' high).
Area Viewed: Focused on the fence straight out from the side of the house (where the gate is) and the back yard to the right of the gate.
Distance: From the camera to the fence is 32'. From the camera to the edge of the house is 20'. From the camera to the door is 10'.
Night Illumination: External IR light mounted above the junction box the camera is on (using a POE splitter / pigtail from the cat 5e).

Cam 8
Camera: Ultra Bullet
Mount: Mounted on the face of a junction box level with the bottom of the dark green plywood (above the white trim of the door / windows. 7 1/2' high).
Area Viewed: Wide view covering the back yard.
Distance: From the house to the back fence is 64 1/2'.
Night Illumination: External IR light mounted above the junction box the camera is on (using a POE splitter / pigtail from the cat 5e).

Cam 9
Mount: Mounted on the side of a junction box level with the bottom of the dark green plywood (above the white trim of the windows. 7 1/2' high).
Area Viewed: Focused on the fence straight out from the side of the house and the back yard to the left of the house.
Distance: From the camera to the fence is 34 1/2'. From the camera to the edge of the house is 26 1/2'.

Attachments

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When you check out locations, do it during the day and at night. And if the sun could affect the exposure, should try at different times during the day.

Also, not sure why you need the archer router just for the camera network?

From what I know, the NVR will keep the cameras off of your main network already. I think most people plug their NVRs into their main network.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Typically, if you have two cars parked in the drive, you would want to mount the cam in the middle between the garage doors. So you can see someone come up between the cars.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Once I get cameras, I'll take a look at the FOV for final placement. I eyeballed everything from camera height on a ladder to get the initial placement. I'll check out the view from the center of the driveway, thanks for the tip. Cam # 3 might pick up the other side of the driveway, depending on its zoom level.

There's a short time in the morning where the sun shines almost straight at cam 3 and 5 (maybe on cam 6 too). Other than that, there shouldn't be an issue with sunlight. Placement on cam # 3 (height) may help a little if the edge of the eaves blocks some of the sun.

Just to be sure, can anyone else corroborate whether the NVR keeps all camera traffic off the LAN or not (like a separate subnet)? The only other item on the subnet at this point would be the tablet streaming the front door cams.

ETA: just remembered why the separate router is used. The POE switches and NVR connect to the router (non-POE NVR). The wan port on the 2nd router goes to the main router. If not, the traffic from the POE switches, cameras, and NVR would all be routed through the main router, correct?

Last edited:

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I made a quick diagram of how my POE switch is connected, see below.

All the camera traffic basically stays in the POE switch, between the cameras and my PC based NVR.
The only traffic that goes to the router is when I'm looking at camera video from a laptop, phone or ipad.

The wired connections from the router to the other switch are meant to show the separation, but it also applies to wireless. None of the traffic is on wifi unless I'm looking at video, where it has to go over wifi so I can see it. And when that happens, its only what I'm looking at.

So if you wire things up correctly, you will keep the traffic off of your router, and it won't bog down your home network.

Attachments

Reactions: mdm

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, helpful diagram. I have two 8 port POE switches. One will be in the garage by the main router, and one will be in the center of the house. Due to the locations of the cameras and the cable routing (no attic to run wires), its much easier to have the 2 locations. With my original config (& adding 3 interior cams not listed above) it would leave 1 port open on the garage switch and 2 open on the house one, along with 1 open port on the 2nd router. Revising the config to match what you've shown will leave only 1 port open on the house switch. I'll have to think about that. I already have the 2nd router, as its one I picked up cheap a while ago, initially with the thought of connecting som Foscams. After reading here, glad I didn't do that.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, helpful diagram. I have two 8 port POE switches. One will be in the garage by the main router, and one will be in the center of the house. Due to the locations of the cameras and the cable routing (no attic to run wires), its much easier to have the 2 locations. With my original config (& adding 3 interior cams not listed above) it would leave 1 port open on the garage switch and 2 open on the house one, along with 1 open port on the 2nd router. Revising the config to match what you've shown will leave only 1 port open on the house switch. I'll have to think about that. I already have the 2nd router, as its one I picked up cheap a while ago, initially with the thought of connecting som Foscams. After reading here, glad I didn't do that.
You can also add a 5 or 8 gigabit switch (non poe) to help connect things, or even a couple. They are relatively cheap. So just use the POE switches for the cameras, and one port out of that switch goes to another switch. This additional switch can connect to both POE switches, the NVR, and your router. Unless the NVR already isolates, as I suspect. The NVR would be used in place of this additional switch.

But if you already have the 2nd router, you can go with your original plan, it will act like the switch I describe above. Was trying to help you not have to get another router lol

Last edited:

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I appreciate you trying to save me some $$. All this gear is definitely pricy. I have spare 5 port and 8 port gigabit non-POE switches, so I could use those to daisy chain switches as suggested. One other possible benefit to using the 2nd router was that the tablet by the front door could use the wifi from the 2nd router to stream the front cameras. Definitely food for additional thought to optimize the hardware /network.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With the 2nd router, were you going to run it on a different ip address subnet?
When I upgraded routers a while ago, I plugged the Wan port of old router into lan port of new router, and ran on two different subnets. Each router was a DNS server for their subnet. It made it easy to add new router, but was a pain in the long run because the subnets could not talk to each other.
I suppose if both routers were on the same subnet, and main was the DNS server, it should work fine.

There is an alternative, which I actually do, I have a couple wifi cameras. In my diagram, substitute a 2nd router for one of the cams. Set the 2nd router to have it's own wifi network. Turn off DNS server in the 2nd router, and let it be in the same ip address range as everything else. I gave router a static ip address, out of the dns address range. Connect any wifi cams to this wifi network, keep everything else on main wifi network. So now you have a wifi network just for your cameras, and the traffic is isolated. I just have a couple 720p wifi cams, so the traffic is not that much, and they seem to work fine.

Randy

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, that was the plan. Similar to this. Setup a Second Wireless Router on Your Home Network

If I try it and have issues like you did, I'll switch over to multiple switches all off the main router. So far, no plans to use wifi to connect the cameras since I should be able to run wires to all locations.

Got the first 3 wires run last weekend, with plenty of spare wire on the end to be able to adjust the location if needed. Those should be the hardest run. Got the patch plate set up by the tv, and shelves installed where the nvr and a Poe switch will go. A good start, but plenty of work left.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For just browsing, having two networks was fine. Problem is when you want something from one network to talk to something from the other one, they can't.

Like my wifi printer, had to log into the "old" wifi network to print anything. That was the biggest hassle for me.

I think the problem you may have is to talk to the NVR (like to look at video), you will need to be on the NVR network.

Randy