4K IP Cam (do I need 4k screen to get benefit?)

eeps24

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to get a lorex 4k@30FPS bullet camera. Then I thought to myself, I dont have a 4k TV. I wont reap the benefit of this camera then correct?

eeps24

n3wb
Reaction score
the benefit is in the ability to zoom in. Note most lorex 4k cameras are poor in low light. You need a camera with a large sensor. See threads.
I don’t plan on zooming in. I’m talking about just purely visual quality. Is it worth getting 4K without a 4K display?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t plan on zooming in.
If your camera catches someone that you don't know walking across your front lawn, you're almost guaranteed to find yourself zooming in on that recording to better see who it was.

Also, if you plan on watching your cameras remotely from a computer, smartphone or tablet, those screens often have more pixels than your current TV.

But like @fenderman said, 4K cameras usually struggle in low light (like when it's dark outside) which is usually when most folks rely on the cameras the most. Because of that the most popular cameras on the forum here are the 2MP (and new 4MP) Dahua Starlight and Hikvision Dark Fighter models that were specifically designed for low light situations. The tech that Dahua/Hik use in their best low-light cameras is not available in consumer-grade models from companies like Lorex, Amcrest, etc.

If you're interested in learning more, click on the Wiki button (top blue bar) and look for the IP Cam Cliff Notes item.

eeps24

n3wb
Reaction score
lorex is offering a camera 4k @ 30FPS....based on what your saying..these high FPS is not worth it correct? I dont care for space (not an issue)... if I can run 4k@ 30FPS why not right? THey do offer a 4k @15 FPS as well..

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
To answer your question, I would say yes. I did it and it helped me. By the way my old monitor was a 1080P.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The bandwidth overhead in going from 2K to 4K is massive. Ditto the processing overhead and the storage overhead.
If also going from 15fps to 30fps, you could quickly get bogged down.