5.0 Upgrade Missing Sentry ID

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have discovered an issue with the 5.0 upgrade. It seems as though if you upgrade and delete the 4.x version, the Sentry ID is preserved and the 5.0 application runs correctly with Sentry.

However, if you choose to upgrade to 5.0 and keep your 4.x version, it seems as though the Sentry ID is not preserved (sentry id is blank). It also seems like BI is no longer connected to Sentry either.

upload_2019-6-1_14-31-37.png

We have also received tickets stating users were issued NEW sentry ids after upgrading to 5.0. Still trying to understand what is going on.

We would recommend NOT upgrading until we have a better understanding of the issue.

Apologies for inconvenience,

-- Sam from Sentry

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
In my case, I installed Version 5 and kept Version 4, and my cameras all have the Sentry IDs intact within Version 5. [EDIT: I double-checked and hadn't kept a record of the original Sentry ID, but it looks to be the same.]

What I am wishing could be changed, however, are the Sentry markers within the alerts list, as the Sentry shield icon now present in Version 5 looks too close to the standard BI rounded icons as seen in the non-Sentry alerts. Before, there as green stick man and another reddish icon. Another wish list item would be to have the ability to show only the Sentry alerts.

Last edited:

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Hi All,

The current version for the 5.0 upgrade on Blue Iris maintains the Sentry ID. Go ahead and upgrade if and when you are ready.

For those who had Sentry IDs switched, please open a ticket at support@smarthomesentry.com. Working with BI currently to determine a resolution.

-- Sam from Sentry

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
In my case, I installed Version 5 and kept Version 4, and my cameras all have the Sentry IDs intact within Version 5. [EDIT: I double-checked and hadn't kept a record of the original Sentry ID, but it looks to be the same.]

What I am wishing could be changed, however, are the Sentry markers within the alerts list, as the Sentry shield icon now present in Version 5 looks too close to the standard BI rounded icons as seen in the non-Sentry alerts. Before, there as green stick man and another reddish icon. Another wish list item would be to have the ability to show only the Sentry alerts.
Good to hear Sentry IDs remained. Problem should be resolved for everyone now.

The 5.0 release was only focused on BI features and not the Sentry integration. I see the shield icon on 5.0 as well. We will look into getting the old icons back.

Filters to show only Sentry Alerts are high on the Sentry 2.0 integration roadmap.

-- Sam from Sentry

integlikewhoa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is not fixed. I just upgraded from 4 to 5 (latest full install on BI website as of 6/3/19 5.0.0.43), I pay for Sentry and my ID was gone after update and delete of BI4. I unchecked sentry in one of the cameras now on BI5 and then recheck back on and now it said I had a 15 day trial and gave me a new Sentry ID #. I'm not sure how to fix or get back to the ID I pay for.

Thanks,
JIM

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Apologies Jim. When deleting 4.x, BI states "Your settings will be migrated automatically from version 4. When you uninstall version 4 make sure to say NO to deleting your settings, as these are shared."

I suspect you deleted registry settings with the 4.x uninstall. Working with BI on resolution. The Sentry service will continue to work under the trial license.

-- Sam from Sentry

integlikewhoa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apologies Jim. When deleting 4.x, BI states "Your settings will be migrated automatically from version 4. When you uninstall version 4 make sure to say NO to deleting your settings, as these are shared."

I suspect you deleted registry settings with the 4.x uninstall. Working with BI on resolution. The Sentry service will continue to work under the trial license.

-- Sam from Sentry
That is not correct. I made sure to press NO on that pop up during the uninstall. Also I have two installs and it happened to both. I have sent email to your support with both the old and the new ID's. 90% of all my settings, cameras and everything stayed the same on both machines. But Sentry, my custom profile names and few other things did not stick on either machine.

This is also not my first time upgrading from 4 to 5. After I failed the first time around I wiped everything reloaded v4 and ran the backup got that running for a day then this morning followed these instructions.
Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

Your talking about step #6 the last sentence. I know for 100% certain on both machine I clicked "NO" and still had this issue with both.

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
That is not correct. I made sure to press NO on that pop up during the uninstall. Also I have two installs and it happened to both. I have sent email to your support with both the old and the new ID's. 90% of all my settings, cameras and everything stayed the same on both machines. But Sentry, my custom profile names and few other things did not stick on either machine.

This is also not my first time upgrading from 4 to 5. After I failed the first time around I wiped everything reloaded v4 and ran the backup got that running for a day then this morning followed these instructions.
Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

Your talking about step #6 the last sentence. I know for 100% certain on both machine I clicked "NO" and still had this issue with both.
I stand corrected. We tested internally and sentry-id is lost even when choosing NO to delete registry settings.

upload_2019-6-3_10-48-31.png

Right now, simply uncheck & recheck Sentry checkbox to get up and running with a new trial license. Resolution still TBD.

-- Sam from Sentry

integlikewhoa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris v5 clearly has issues on transferring everything over. Like I said Sentry wasn't the only thing I lost. But I didn't loose the BI registration or Cameras. Which if I would have clicked YES I would have lost alot more. But clicking no only saves half the settings. I found that leaving BI4 installed while BI5 is running there is nothing lost.

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Spoke with BI yesterday. Confirmed the 5.0.0.45 installer is now able to preserve the sentry id. Issue was when users upgraded to 5.0 and uninstalled v4.x, the sentry-id would get lost and a new one would be created by unchecking and checking the sentry box.

Support will be reaching out today with the fix for those who opened tickets regarding their paid sentry-ids being lost.

-- Sam from Sentry

integlikewhoa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's good news.

I might delete everything reinstall 4.0 and run a restore. Then try to upgrade again and find out if its really true. There was several other things that were getting deleted also. Hope they fixed everything.

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
We've been getting tickets that the Sentry ID is being lost again when users upgrading to BI v5.0 or installing latest updates.

Sorry for inconvenience. Working with BI on fix.

-- Sam from Sentry