8MP IPC-T2385G-I (OEM HK Darkfighter) vs Dahua 4MP IPC-HDW5442TM-AS Wondering why the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS isn't any better but worse than the IPC-T2385G

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have been playing with different cams to find the best for color in low light. So far I'm liking the IPC-T2385G-I best for accurate color and low noise, however as I don't have enough light to go above 1/30 shutter with out more noise than it's worth.
Not to much blur if any around 20' or so but further back it may blur some or if something is fast paced. So I figured I would try one of my IPC-HDW5442TM-AS cams as they should be better in low light bigger sensor and half the pixels, just not as much detail as its a big area.
They really don't seem any better than my other 8MP IPC-HFW1831E, actually seem worse in color production. So I'm not sure if the firmware or what is the cause of this issue, as I have seen other posts that are way better.
So wondering if they don't like the street lamp's color for some reason. I have to put them around 1/3 shutter to start to get accurate color compared to the IPC-T2385G-I, but they seem fine in a room on auto with just a lamp or computer screen and will stay in color.

So, I may end up trying the IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu if I can sell my IPC-T2385G-I and not worry about the MP as I only really care for around 15-20' out, but do like the little extra detail.

IPC-T2385G-I IPC-HFW1831E IPC-HDW5442TM-AS
hk.jpg dh.jpg dh 4.jpg

Iphone XR
IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2675.JPG

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
What bitrate are you running on the 5442? The camera will give you a better image at 8192 or better

Also I would try putting all 3 cameras in the same mounting position, scene and zoom. There is a lot of difference in those examples.

The 5442 picks up light so well you may have to turn down brightness and/or use a faster exposure to get rid of the glare. WItrh the light you have there, 1/60 should be the minimum

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Bitrate at 8192, haven't tried custom I figured it was enough as I don't get artifacts or anything.
3.PNG
Tried 1/60 is better but even at like 5' not the best and more blur then the other two 8mp.
4.PNG
T2385G-I
192.168.1.200_Patio 4mm DF_main_20191109224101_@1.jpg
HFW1831E
192.168.1.200_Patio 2.8mm_main_20191109224100_@1.jpg
HDW5442TM-AS
192.168.1.200_CAM 4_main_20191109224053_@1.jpg

I'm still learning and playing with settings as normally when I mess with the shutter on Dahua it's fine at night but gets to much light and whites out during the day. So not sure if I had numbers backwards or what as I assumed it was auto and would adjust as needed between the two. On the HK I just pick what seems to be the lowest allowed and it will adjust as needed as I have yer to have it white out. I'll try one night if I have the time. Though two are 2.8mm to get as much as possible and not worried about the feet as they are normally inside so maybe 15'. The HK is 4mm to have a little better detail. It's no big deal just messing around and learning. There all fine in B&W I just would like color but may try for a few days in B&W and see how much of a difference there is.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats really odd. Not my experience with them.

Maybe try temporary mounting the 5442 the exact same place as the first 2. There seems to be a difference in the light in front of the camera,

Another thing to try would be some HLC to tone down the streetlight..

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I may try next weekend for fun and see what happens. Tired of messing with it tonight. I thought it was strange too, so can only think either they don't like the lamps glow/temperature or the glass they are behind is causing something strange.
For the most part they're fine as I use them for my living room and bedroom for my dog and have no issues. I just figured I would try it outside as it's great in low light, but not in my case so far for outside.
That's the one thing I don't like about being in an apt. I cant mount outside. Thanks for the info though.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ohhhhh didnt know they were inside behind glass. Hard to predict what that will result in, any little movemet will reflect light differently..

I would test them in the same identical spot to be fair.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could you get away with mounting an IR emitter outside above your patio? Something about the size of the one in this photo. It's pretty potent, and seriously overbuilt. It won't help with color, but it could boost the B/W performance of one of your other cams. Or if you had a different window it could fire out of, so it didn't glare out your cameras. Having the illumination coming from an offset location also throws facial details into contrast.

Attachments

coffeet

n3wb
Reaction score
I got my T5442TM-AS-LED (HDW5442TM) 2 days ago. The low light color performance is great. The color night image under normal streetlight is bright and pretty crispy. I would say it is on par with 2MP full-color 4239.

For Wolf4Ever's case, my guess is lamp light reflection. If you turn off all lights in the room and still have this problem, my another guess would be the bright streetlight shine directly on the camera body, and somehow causes the reflection to the window glass in front. 5442 is very sensitive to light. any refection would cause glowing effect.

Last edited:

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Could you get away with mounting an IR emitter outside above your patio? Something about the size of the one in this photo. It's pretty potent, and seriously overbuilt. It won't help with color, but it could boost the B/W performance of one of your other cams. Or if you had a different window it could fire out of, so it didn't glare out your cameras. Having the illumination coming from an offset location also throws facial details into contrast.
I wish I could but there is no where I could high enough even if they didn't mind. As the upstairs has a balcony over my and they're not aloud or supposed to put anything outside.
I haven't put up my second IPC-T2385G-I I may in the back window where the HDW5442TM-AS and see if its any different then the patio one with the light and glass reflection.
Will sometime this week on this weekend if I don't have time.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The image for 5442 is suffering from lens flare and this will reduce contrast.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can raise up all the cams just high enough that the bright light across the parking lot doesn't hit their lenses, that should help.

It really looks like the 4MP cam is picking up a lot more light though. HLC or simply messing with the exposure and gain settings should be able to make it look more like the others but with a faster exposure.

One thing that is super important in low light is how well the cam captures moving subjects. In low light they may look alright when still, but when they move they can look like ghosts even with a 1/30 exposure.