Add microphone to camera

Joe jones

n3wb
Reaction score
In advance I hope not to offend if this has already been addressed or in the wrong section. I am very new to cctv and am at a loss trying to add audio to my cctv system. First off I have 4 laview IP cameras and also a Laview 8 channel NVR. Everything works fine even though it’s probably lower end. Recently I purchased another Laview IP cam that is advertised with audio capabilities ( LV-PD6240-VF ). It has audio in and out 3.5 mm jacks. Also has internal 12 volt +/- connection. My question is how to add a mic. The NVR is connected via hdmi to three monitors/ TVs through my home for remote viewing. It has audio in and audio out single RCA jacks. I’ve tried several ways and no luck? I have enabled audio through the camera properties software in the NVR. I purchased a very low price generic mic and any help or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

Reaction score
Does your NVR have a place to plug in a mic or audio analog Cable? It would say it on the back of your NVR. It should say MIC or Audio in. If so you will need a cable like the one included in this kit, to plug your mic into your NVR.

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it's an IP camera with audio capabilities (even if through an external mic) then it will reach the nvr as part of the camera feed, though you may have to enable the audio on that channel on the nvr side as well as through the camera properties.

You also usually need to actually click on an icon on the camera tile when viewing live or recorded footage to actually listen to the audio (otherwise it would get very confusing if multiple audio capable cameras were being viewed at once)

I'm not familiar with Laview, but the first thing I would check would be that you've actually enabled audio on the camera tile when viewing the stream.

Joe jones

n3wb
Reaction score
Does your NVR have a place to plug in a mic or audio analog Cable? It would say it on the back of your NVR. It should say MIC or Audio in. If so you will need a cable like the one included in this kit, to plug your mic into your NVR.
Yes my nvr has a single audio in and a si ngle audio out. Its connected to the nvr via Poe. I've tried using a ethernet cable and hooking the ip cam to the nvr directly but no luck with audio..the picture is fine. I thought if I hooked the poe and then connected the mic to the audio in on the camera and several ways like audio out to the nvr then to a tv or speaker and no luck. The power for the mic I connected to 12 connection also on the camera...at a loss? Of course I've never attempted audio before. I have enabled audio via the nvr settings on the specific camera? Obviously I'm doing something stupid hahaha

Joe jones

n3wb
Reaction score
If it's an IP camera with audio capabilities (even if through an external mic) then it will reach the nvr as part of the camera feed, though you may have to enable the audio on that channel on the nvr side as well as through the camera properties.

You also usually need to actually click on an icon on the camera tile when viewing live or recorded footage to actually listen to the audio (otherwise it would get very confusing if multiple audio capable cameras were being viewed at once)

I'm not familiar with Laview, but the first thing I would check would be that you've actually enabled audio on the camera tile when viewing the stream.
I appreciate your replly and hope to get it right. The camera picture is great but no audio

Reaction score
This kit has an audio power cable, that should connect to your camera and then to your NVR. You should purchase it and try it out.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.