any thoughts on xprotect?

jmg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I downloaded the trial version of express+, and have to say, I'm pretty impressed with it. HW acceleration works fantastic compared to BI, even when using the intel integrated version, plus it has the option for NVidia acceleration. Other than that, to those that have experience with xprotect, what are its advantages over BI?

Other than the significant difference in hardware acceleration, the interface feels familiar to BI, but the learning curve on this is pretty steep... I don't want to spend the significant money on this if all it gives me is less cpu usage. The main thing I've found lacking in BI is the clip timeline.. it has no image rec, can't tell me what it detected (like sighthound-- detects whether movement is from a person or a car or whatever).

Anyway, would appreciate any thoughts from people who have actually used it, and comparisons to BI.
Obviously I'm aware of the massive cost differential.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded the trial version of express+, and have to say, I'm pretty impressed with it. HW acceleration works fantastic compared to BI, even when using the intel integrated version, plus it has the option for NVidia acceleration. Other than that, to those that have experience with xprotect, what are its advantages over BI?

Other than the significant difference in hardware acceleration, the interface feels familiar to BI, but the learning curve on this is pretty steep... I don't want to spend the significant money on this if all it gives me is less cpu usage. The main thing I've found lacking in BI is the clip timeline.. it has no image rec, can't tell me what it detected (like sighthound-- detects whether movement is from a person or a car or whatever).

Anyway, would appreciate any thoughts from people who have actually used it, and comparisons to BI.
Obviously I'm aware of the massive cost differential.
its great...it is less feature rich than BI...particularly with schedules, alerts and motion detection...if you have more than 8 cameras it gets expensive...try it and compare for yourself, if you are not using those features in bi then use xprotect..milestone has no image recognition either, its a gimmick...who cares what it detects, you can see it with your own eyes, its not accurate...

jmg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. I had used image rec when I was using sighthound (which I abandoned for BI), the image rec was the only thing that software got right -- made reviewing clips far easier (e.g., only show clips with people, cars, etc). But they seem to have positioned themselves as an image-rec company with surveillance software as a an aside, the software was otherwise a horror-show.

Xprotect seems to have a fairly steep learning curve. I have it installed, it seems pretty slick, found all my lorex cameras instantly, and the cpu usage is insanely low (with h.265 on, it uses 25-30% processor with intel-only hardware acceleration ,less than 15% when it uses one of my titans).

I'll monkey around with it, not sure the excessive price differential is worth a few cpu cycles... so far seems slick, but no "gotta have" feature that isn't in BI.

\

jmg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
have to say, I've been playing with this for a few days now and I'm very impressed with xprotect. The rules-based camera triggering are awesome,and the clip timeline is very well done (not to mention cpu usage is extremely low) . Blue iris can't be touched at its price point, but xprotect is one nice piece of software.