Anyone tried the New Raspberry Pi 4?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone tried the New Raspberry Pi 4? Any feedback?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I think for current applications its overkill, but its nice that we're progressing to the point that computers are getting miniaturized and there's no regret if the kids bash this little PC all over the place, lol
Nope, not yet. I still use a Pi 2 for my one of my 24/7 camera monitors and didn't see any reason to upgrade it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you wanted to run something like UI3 on a pi, then by all means a pi 4 should be the best option due to having a faster CPU, more memory bandwidth and whatnot. However I run 7 instances of "omxplayer" (7 video streams) on the pi 2 and total CPU usage is around 25% because this player uses hardware acceleration and doesn't really do anything else besides render the video stream.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a great idea; no one should be disabling hardware acceleration :D

If you wanted to run something like UI3 on a pi, then by all means a pi 4 should be the best option due to having a faster CPU, more memory bandwidth and whatnot. However I run 7 instances of "omxplayer" (7 video streams) on the pi 2 and total CPU usage is around 25% because this player uses hardware acceleration and doesn't really do anything else besides render the video stream.

Reaction score
Hmm... UI3 on a pi. How do you use this? On a wall mounted touch screen display?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you use a ptz or any features with UI3 or just video feed? I find video feed is fine but on my 3 b+ when I start to mess with the ui3 it lags too much and is not usable. I feel a new SD card is needed.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
which software are you using on your pi2 to view your cameras?
the ui3:

it was coded and created from the ground up by the great @bp2008