Backup Options

upstech76

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm currently running a 6 Dahua Cameras and recording to a dedicated BI PC in my home. I'm concerned about the possible theft of the BI PC if I were robbed and would like to somehow back up the video in real time. I have a Synology NAS on the same network but have read that its not recommended to have BI write to a NAS. How can I backup video in real time? I don't want to wait until a clip is finished before it backs up? One option I considered was using Synology Surveillance Station simultaneously with BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm currently running a 6 Dahua Cameras and recording to a dedicated BI PC in my home. I'm concerned about the possible theft of the BI PC if I were robbed and would like to somehow back up the video in real time. I have a Synology NAS on the same network but have read that its not recommended to have BI write to a NAS. How can I backup video in real time? I don't want to wait until a clip is finished before it backs up? One option I considered was using Synology Surveillance Station simultaneously with BI.
Lock the pc down with a pc lock. No one steals desktops, particularly when the alarm is blaring.
The recommendation not to use the nas, is for primary storage, you can clone the cameras and backup to nas.
You can also hide an nvr or use sd cards in the cameras.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Th option i use is three levels of recording for my most important cameras.
Level 1 - Record to the SD card in the camera
Level 2 - record to the hard drive in the BI computer.
level 3 - record to a NAS in a secure location in the house

The level three recording is done in near real time by using clone cameras in BI. The clone cameras take nearly no CPU time because there is no additional process.

I agree with Fenderman about the break ins. I have had a break in before I got big dogs. The alarm went off and they immediately left the house. They did not even grab the Christmas presents that were within 10 feet for the door they kicked in. I did not have cameras at the time.

upstech76

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lock the pc down with a pc lock. No one steals desktops, particularly when the alarm is blaring.
The recommendation not to use the nas, is for primary storage, you can clone the cameras and backup to nas.
You can also hide an nvr or use sd cards in the cameras.
Can't say I'm a firm believer in PC locks, at least not the ones I've seen made for laptops! Maybe something creative like a cable style bicycle lock. I'd just hate to lose the best chance at catching a thief should it ever occur.

Th option i use is three levels of recording for my most important cameras.
Level 1 - Record to the SD card in the camera
Level 2 - record to the hard drive in the BI computer.
level 3 - record to a NAS in a secure location in the house

The level three recording is done in near real time by using clone cameras in BI. The clone cameras take nearly no CPU time because there is no additional process.

I agree with Fenderman about the break ins. I have had a break in before I got big dogs. The alarm went off and they immediately left the house. They did not even grab the Christmas presents that were within 10 feet for the door they kicked in. I did not have cameras at the time.
I'd thought about using Micro SD cards but was concerned about the amount of recording I could get on a SD card. I like the idea of using a clone camera set to record direct to my NAS. I've also seen a FTP option in the camera firmware but haven't taken the opportunity to play around with it yet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't say I'm a firm believer in PC locks, at least not the ones I've seen made for laptops! Maybe something creative like a cable style bicycle lock. I'd just hate to lose the best chance at catching a thief should it ever occur.

I'd thought about using Micro SD cards but was concerned about the amount of recording I could get on a SD card. I like the idea of using a clone camera set to record direct to my NAS. I've also seen a FTP option in the camera firmware but haven't taken the opportunity to play around with it yet.
The point is that they won’t waste time with it. The is in addition to the fact that desktops are almost never stolen. Do you have an alarm system? If not you are doing this backwards.

upstech76

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The point is that they won’t waste time with it. The is in addition to the fact that desktops are almost never stolen. Do you have an alarm system? If not you are doing this backwards.
Definitely....Monitored Alarm, 3 large indoor dogs (2 German Shepherds), and someone is almost always at home. I'm just kind of partial to my stuff and can't stand a thief!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely....Monitored Alarm, 3 large indoor dogs (2 German Shepherds), and someone is almost always at home. I'm just kind of partial to my stuff and can't stand a thief!
They have zero interest in desktop PCs. Zero.