Bad performance on Windows Server 2019 compared to Windows 10

jpregente

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

did run BI for days on Intel NUC J3455 ( Celeron ), 8 cams with 720P / 15FPS without any issues. CPU usage around 20%. Perfect.
Now I installed Windows Server 2019 Std on the same hardware, imported the same settings back to BI. Everything is working but now BI CPU usage > 50% for doing exactly the same stuff.
No change running BI as a service.

Is there probably no hardware decoding support on Windows Server?
Is there a way to double check this?

If there is no solution for this I probably have to go back to Windows10.

Thanks!
-JP

jpregente

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

did run BI for days on Intel NUC J3455 ( Celeron ), 8 cams with 720P / 15FPS without any issues. CPU usage around 20%. Perfect.
Now I installed Windows Server 2019 Std on the same hardware, imported the same settings back to BI. Everything is working but now BI CPU usage > 50% for doing exactly the same stuff.
No change running BI as a service.

Is there probably no hardware decoding support on Windows Server?
Is there a way to double check this?

If there is no solution for this I probably have to go back to Windows10.

Thanks!
-JP
Guess I found possible reason for that. Whole bunch of drivers missing on the Server installation. Trying to fix this first and see if this improves performance.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Please let me know what you discover after installing drivers. I’d imagine that Server 2019 would work the same as Windows 10 since they are the same code, but I’m definitely curious to see what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpregente

n3wb
Reaction score
Well turns out that I was not able to install all drivers for the Intel platform. The installation failed due to non “supported” OS. After a while CPU usage dropped to normal but there have been always high peaks I never did see before on Win10. Hardware decoding was working at least task manager did show GPU usage. Finally I decided to got back to Win10 Pro and driver support was much better out of the box. Now everything seems to be normal again and system runs at 20%-30%. Depending on the number of clients connected.

But I realized that there is another strange issue on Win10 now. Only one single cam is getting low FPS after a while whereas all the other cams continue to run without issues. By chance I realized that if I logon to the system (where BI is running), the issue goes away immediately. Doesn’t matter if BI is running as service or not. I do have the feeling that this started to happen with the latest update but I guess I will start new thread for this...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It may be that Server 2019 is not designed or optimized to run on a Celeron processor.

Why are you running a server on a NUC? What are your trying to gain ?

jpregente

n3wb
Reaction score
I've done this for no good reason. Had Server 2012R2 running for years covering several other tasks and just upgraded to 2019 on new hardware. But now everything can be covered with Win10 as well so I will continue to use it like this.