Best hardware for 60 cameras

BlindNinja

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there

I am looking to replace an ancient system with around 60 cameras running coax with IP cameras. I haven't decided on the new cameras yet.

I wasn't too impressed by the NVRs I have seen. I am looking at 4k cameras so we're talking 20 mbps per stream maxing out gigE.

Some of the NVRs I have seen claim to support 256 cameras but only at ~700mbps.

So I am thinking of using a PC based NVR. What are the recommendations for software and hardware?
Will the NVR do the encoding or is it done in camera?

I have 4 screens and would like to be able to display all the live output on them.
Also need access to playback and extract videos out.

What do you guys recommend?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there

I am looking to replace an ancient system with around 60 cameras running coax with IP cameras. I haven't decided on the new cameras yet.

I wasn't too impressed by the NVRs I have seen. I am looking at 4k cameras so we're talking 20 mbps per stream maxing out gigE.

Some of the NVRs I have seen claim to support 256 cameras but only at ~700mbps.

So I am thinking of using a PC based NVR. What are the recommendations for software and hardware?
Will the NVR do the encoding or is it done in camera?

I have 4 screens and would like to be able to display all the live output on them.
Also need access to playback and extract videos out.

What do you guys recommend?
what is your budget? you will need an enterprise vms, be prepared to pay per camera licensing.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking at 4k cameras so we're talking 20 mbps per stream maxing out gigE.
4k may not make sense everywhere. What kind of environment is this? 4k at 15fps using h.265 would save some bandwidth and storage space.

This does sound like a job for an enterprise grade vms (of which there aren't that many users here). In some cases the VMS software may be discounted or even free if you use that company's cameras which cost more. Either way you're talking thousands of dollars, paying a relatively small amount for an ipvm.com membership could help you make smarter choices.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are using coax, have you considered Dahua's 4k over coax cameras? We are currently testing a new Dahua DSS server that can handle quite a bit. It has 16 HDD bays build into it and I think it supports up to 2000 Dahua cameras and something like 1000 onvif cameras, up to 500 recorders or devices. Pretty neat machine so far.