BI Mobile App no longer pushing notifications, Android 13 on Pixel 7

Reaction score
Not sure if this has happened to anyone but it could be because of an update although I don't recall Android update in the last couple of days to my Pixel 7. Now the notifications for BI Mobile app is blocked. As can be seen from screen capture below, the android phone is blocking the notifications and I can't seem to re-enable it. Google search of problem has lead to threads saying its is a known issue with Android 13 (not specifically to BI but other apps as well) although it was working fine yesterday. Console on BI PC says push is successful and Mobile app has device enabled. I have uninstalled the app, rebooted phone and reinstalled. Oh well, it was really nice when it lasted since it was real time, now I have to wait till I get the email to my gmail which is delayed sometimes. Thanks for any advice anyone has. I did send an email to BI but not thinking that will pan out.

Cheers

1692743268238.png

Reaction score
here is another screenshot on my pixel 7 when i go into notification sound settings in BI Mobile App. I did not request to block these notifications either. A little frustrating to say the least.

1692743800692.png

chmenke

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm seeing the same thing on Galaxy S23 with Android 13. The app doesn't have a "notifications" permission like other apps. My phone just updated to this version of the app yesterday, so maybe that is causing the issue.

Reaction score
I'm seeing the same thing on Galaxy S23 with Android 13. The app doesn't have a "notifications" permission like other apps. My phone just updated to this version of the app yesterday, so maybe that is causing the issue.
oh yes ... i remember there was a blue iris app update yesterday or before. do you know how to revert to a previous app version of BI?

chmenke

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to revert app updates. Sometimes there are APKs that are shared that you can sideload, but since it's a paid app, I think that would be frowned upon.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to revert app updates. Sometimes there are APKs that are shared that you can sideload, but since it's a paid app, I think that would be frowned upon.
how ironic that my one year blue iris support actually expired this month on aug 17th which i never ever used for any support. i guess ill chalk it up to murphy's law.

chmenke

n3wb
Reaction score
how ironic that my one year blue iris support actually expired this month on aug 17th which i never ever used for any support. i guess ill chalk it up to murphy's law.
I hear you. My support expired a couple months ago. I did email the developer so at least they should be aware of it. Hopefully it's something they can fix with an update. It's probably some app manifest or permission setting the developer has to set to make notifications work on Android 13. I really should turn off auto-updates for BI mobile. I've had a few major breaking issues over the years. Since there's no way to rollback, better to wait a few weeks before updating.

ticines

n3wb
Reaction score
Sto vedendo la stessa cosa su Galaxy S23 con Android 13. L'app non dispone di un'autorizzazione "notifiche" come le altre app. Il mio telefono si è appena aggiornato a questa versione dell'app ieri, quindi forse questo sta causando il problema.
it happens to me and my wife too, Samsung s20 and s22

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has happened to anyone but it could be because of an update although I don't recall Android update in the last couple of days to my Pixel 7. Now the notifications for BI Mobile app is blocked. As can be seen from screen capture below, the android phone is blocking the notifications and I can't seem to re-enable it. Google search of problem has lead to threads saying its is a known issue with Android 13 (not specifically to BI but other apps as well) although it was working fine yesterday. Console on BI PC says push is successful and Mobile app has device enabled. I have uninstalled the app, rebooted phone and reinstalled. Oh well, it was really nice when it lasted since it was real time, now I have to wait till I get the email to my gmail which is delayed sometimes. Thanks for any advice anyone has. I did send an email to BI but not thinking that will pan out.

Cheers

View attachment 170604
You dont need the app for push notifications..see the thread about using pushover for notification.

Reaction score
Even with the updates and successfully enabling notifications now, I still can't get the notifications to work. Tried uninstall reboot and reinstall. Luckily I got pushover from the above recommendation and that's working like a charm. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Even with the updates and successfully enabling notifications now, I still can't get the notifications to work. Tried uninstall reboot and reinstall. Luckily I got pushover from the above recommendation and that's working like a charm. :)
Pushover provides some additional benefits you may want to explore.
1) there is a mute/silence option that you can set for a specified period of time - you dont have to remember to turn it back on. Its the icon shaped like a half moon.

2) you can send the notification in emergency priority to override silent mode on your phone.

3) you can set it to keep alerting until you manually silence the alert.

There are probably more but these are the features that I like about pushover.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
BI app has a new update in the Play Store fixed notification issue on my Pixel 6pro.
This update also worked for me (version 3.0.42).

Though I had to re-enable Blue Iris in:
Settings > Notifications > ‘App Notifications’.

This requirement is noted in the Blue Iris App’s page in the Play Store:

1692855337472.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I actually see where I went wrong, in troubleshooting the original problem, I had ticked off "Use legacy GCM on Android" and forgot to untick it after the fix. Regardless I am kinda biased towards Pushover now. LoL. Thank you to everyone for their input and suggestions.

Cheers

Tin

PXL_20230824_130818100~2.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I actually see where I went wrong, in troubleshooting the original problem, I had ticked off "Use legacy GCM on Android" and forgot to untick it after the fix. Regardless I am kinda biased towards Pushover now. LoL. Thank you to everyone for their input and suggestions.

Cheers

Tin

View attachment 170671
Yeah pushover is awesome!