BI5 Black Screen???

Scotto2323

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for some help with figuring out why my BI5 / PC is crashing. I am running Windows 10 on a dedicated Dell XPS 4700 that randomly becomes unresponsive every few weeks. When I go to the PC and turn it on the monitor I have a black screen with no ability to do anything and have to force power off on system.

Anyone have this issue?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you do a clean install of windows?
What errors are in the event log?
What version of bi ?
Did this just start happening ?

Last edited:

Scotto2323

n3wb
Reaction score
Windows 10 was clean install 2 years ago when I first started with BI4. I am running the latest version of BI5, as I always update. This has been occurring for awhile, can’t remember for sure how long but I always looked past it since it was a rare occurrence. Just so happens it was trick or treat in my area (when I actually want to be recording due to increased foot traffic) but system failed, which is why I want to fix the reliability isssue.

I do not see anything in status as I guess it clears out. I just checked the box which I assume will save the logs to file for reference later. Is there another way I am missing to check BI5 logs?

Tried looking at Windows event viewer (not sure if I am viewing everything) but was unable to detect anything prior to the time of crash.

Running BI as service.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for some help with figuring out why my BI5 / PC is crashing. I am running Windows 10 on a dedicated Dell XPS 4700 that randomly becomes unresponsive every few weeks. When I go to the PC and turn it on the monitor I have a black screen with no ability to do anything and have to force power off on system.

Anyone have this issue?
That is a 10 year old machine, that is a power hog, that needs to be replaced. I am guessing your load is high.

Scotto2323

n3wb
Reaction score
Not too concerned about it being a power hog at this time as my electric bill is pretty minimal. Only running (4) 4mp cameras that are putting a 34% load on the system.

Just looking to see if there is any easy fix to my reliability issue until I have time to upgrade the system and install new additional cameras.