Blue Iris App: unable to connect to server!

MrSchultz

n3wb
Reaction score
hi everyone. having a little issue with my one cell phone connecting to blue iris server on my computer.

I am using a Samsung Note 5, my wife has a note3 and she can see the cameras when the phone is on the Wireless (LTE), AND on wifi. on my phone, it used to work fine, and now it doesn't want to log in!

I can only login and see all my cameras if I turn OFF wifi. when I turn wifi back on I can't connect to my "web server" on blue iris.

I did test my wife's phone, note 3, and it works on wifi or wireless through the router.

any thoughts as to what this may be? I checked the login name and password, all the IP's and ports were copied from my wife's wife's phone since hers is working pefectly. it's just my phone that won't connect wihen I 'm wifi.

any thoughts? this is a weird one. thanks in advance for the people who can heklp with this.

thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@MrSchultz, welcome to the forum. First thing to check is whether you have permissions for remote viewing.
Go to, blue iris options>users> and ensure that "lan only" is not selected.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrSchultz

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the welcome :D

LAN only is not selected. my wife's samsung note 3 works fine remotely and on the LAN. but my phone for some weird reason doesn't want to connect on LAN. I can only connect remotely. this is weird! it's worked fine before, i'm scratching my head here. Not sure about this blue iris anymore, it makes me sad.

I've tried to restart my phone, same thing. I've tried to remove the server off of my phone entirely and enter in EXACTLY the same settings as my wife's phone...... and still, unable to connect to server.

MrSchultz

n3wb
Reaction score
it's crazy because before I couldn't get my phone to connect remotely, but when it was connected to my home wifi it always worked! this time it's the opposite problem lol

MrSchultz

n3wb
Reaction score
well, my phone is now not connecting to the internet, yet i'm on my home wifi, other devices work. something is up with my phone!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for the welcome :D

LAN only is not selected. my wife's samsung note 3 works fine remotely and on the LAN. but my phone for some weird reason doesn't want to connect on LAN. I can only connect remotely. this is weird! it's worked fine before, i'm scratching my head here. Not sure about this blue iris anymore, it makes me sad.

I've tried to restart my phone, same thing. I've tried to remove the server off of my phone entirely and enter in EXACTLY the same settings as my wife's phone...... and still, unable to connect to server.
Are you using a modem/ router combo unit? And if so, did you properly enter both the lan and wan ip addresses correctly with the corresponding port?
also make sure https is NOT selected on the app.

MrSchultz

n3wb
Reaction score
yes i did, i copied exactly what was on my wife's phone. hers works, mine doesnt. same exact settings. but there may be an issue with my phone, i'm investigating now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes i did, i copied exactly what was on my wife's phone. hers works, mine doesnt. same exact settings. but there may be an issue with my phone, i'm investigating now.
sometimes a simple error is hard to spot, you need to triple check everything. First thing I would check is the LAN ip address and port.

MrSchultz

n3wb
Reaction score
ok, for some reason.. lord knows why, my phone does not work at ALL on my wifi at home. works fine when wifi shut off on phone. that's probably why! now i have to move along to the samsung forums lol oh man. sorry for the false alarm guys! but i do like how quick people responded! i like this place!

rra

n3wb
Reaction score
On my phone the app works onl at wifi , only wifi unable to connect server at 4G . This app is very bad .

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ok, for some reason.. lord knows why, my phone does not work at ALL on my wifi at home. works fine when wifi shut off on phone. that's probably why! now i have to move along to the samsung forums lol oh man. sorry for the false alarm guys! but i do like how quick people responded! i like this place!
May be time for a smartphone reset (backup apps, pix, etc. first just to be safe).

FWIW, been using BI app on iPhone for 4 years, no hiccups; alerts within 5 seconds, always works unlike other cam viewer apps I've tried, on LAN or WAN (using DDNS). Same can be said for wife's Moto 'droid for 14 months....never an issue with BI app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
On my phone the app works onl at wifi , only wifi unable to connect server at 4G . This app is very bad .
No you are BAD. You are BAD at understanding networking. You are BAD at reading directions. You are BAD at asking for help.

rra

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman , tell me why ? there are a lot of people with this problem . My settings are correct .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman , tell me why ? there are a lot of people with this problem . My settings are correct .
Your settings are not correct. That's the problem. There are not alot of people with this problem. There are over 100k users of the mobile apps. A few posts from people like you who don't have it setup correctly is insignificant.
A smarter reply would have included images of your settings so when can show you what you are doing wrong.

rra

n3wb
Reaction score
I found the problem . My phone is the problem . Android 5 on a note 3 is the problem . I have a new phone with android 9 . Now works perfect .

denywinarto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Same issue here, exact same setup works fine via tinycam, so the issue is definitely with the login module of the android app.
Please fix this, It's the only thing missing from BI, tinycam doesn't have the feature to view clips yet

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Same issue here, exact same setup works fine via tinycam, so the issue is definitely with the login module of the android app.
Please fix this, It's the only thing missing from BI, tinycam doesn't have the feature to view clips yet
Its NOT the same issue. There is nothing wrong with the blue iris app. You are doing something incorrectly. Probably missing the correct port. Tinycam will never support clip viewing. If you have a problem with the app, you need to email support. I can assure you it is something on your end. Think logically, do you think all of us here cannot use the app since January 2019 or if you go by the op jan 2016?

Dwellonroof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its NOT the same issue. There is nothing wrong with the blue iris app. You are doing something incorrectly. Probably missing the correct port. Tinycam will never support clip viewing. If you have a problem with the app, you need to email support. I can assure you it is something on your end. Think logically, do you think all of us here cannot use the app since January 2019 or if you
hi everyone. having a little issue with my one cell phone connecting to blue iris server on my computer.

I am using a Samsung Note 5, my wife has a note3 and she can see the cameras when the phone is on the Wireless (LTE), AND on wifi. on my phone, it used to work fine, and now it doesn't want to log in!

I can only login and see all my cameras if I turn OFF wifi. when I turn wifi back on I can't connect to my "web server" on blue iris.

I did test my wife's phone, note 3, and it works on wifi or wireless through the router.

any thoughts as to what this may be? I checked the login name and password, all the IP's and ports were copied from my wife's wife's phone since hers is working pefectly. it's just my phone that won't connect wihen I 'm wifi.

any thoughts? this is a weird one. thanks in advance for the people who can heklp with this.

thanks!
i know this is old but I had the exact same problem with an iPhone 8 today, BI would start to connect then disappear ☹ I ended up uninstalling BI app and reinstall. Works perfect now.