Blue Iris on a Cloud Computer VM

taltal13

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm thinking about using Paperspace as platform to host my Blue Iris instance.

I don't really know where to start. My cameras would be on a totally different network. I'm guessing I have to create a VPN between my home computer and my cloud computer? Would the Cloud Computer then be able to see my wireless cameras?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm thinking about using Paperspace as platform to host my Blue Iris instance.

I don't really know where to start. My cameras would be on a totally different network. I'm guessing I have to create a VPN between my home computer and my cloud computer? Would the Cloud Computer then be able to see my wireless cameras?
I have a netgear router with 5 IP cameras. Netgear has a built in VPN feature that works with OpenVPN client. My PC running Blueiris with OpenVPN client configured to connect to my network sees all devices as local devices.

VM with this configuration would do the smae.

Having said that, I think you will run into other issues including bandwidth of connection and processing power.

Hope this was helpful.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

taltal13

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a netgear router with 5 IP cameras. Netgear has a built in VPN feature that works with OpenVPN client. My PC running Blueiris with OpenVPN client configured to connect to my network sees all devices as local devices.

VM with this configuration would do the smae.

Having said that, I think you will run into other issues including bandwidth of connection and processing power.

Hope this was helpful.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
The processing power and bandwidth of the VM won't/shouldn't be a problem

RAM: 16 GB
CPUS: 6
HD: 210.5 KB / 100 GB
GPU: 2 GB
Bandwidth: DOWNLOAD 546.19 Mbps UPLOAD 702.53 Mbps

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The processing power and bandwidth of the VM won't/shouldn't be a problem
The rub with VMs is that Blue Iris can't offload processing to the Intel Quicksync feature of the processor (as it's typically not presented to the OS in VMs, even if the processor actually supports that feature, which most server-grade processors don't).

So from the get go, your setup will likely be running quite a bit higher on processor than the majority of folks here that use i5/i7 that do QuickSync.

This isn't to say that you can't do what you're trying to. It's just that the most seasoned BI folks here don't run in virtual environments for that reason, so won't have a lot of experience to share. Try doing a forum search for VMs. Like @fenderman said, there have been a few folks that have gone down this virtual route before, but it often ends with them just disappearing from the forum with no follow-up of how their endeavor went.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It should be possible, but it would be expensive. As a prerequisite you would need to have a rock solid internet connection with no data limit and lots of upload speed (at least 4 Mbps per camera?).

Many hosting plans have a bandwidth limit. Those which claim unlimited bandwidth are really going to have fine print saying they can charge you more or shut you down if you use more than they think is reasonable. One camera at 4 Mbps is 1.31 TB per month! Do this with several cameras and you will be one of their heaviest users.

Also, I wouldn't suggest a "cloud" server (a.k.a. virtual machine) as that will be overprovisioned shared hardware and a continuous heavy load like Blue Iris may be frowned upon. You can rent a more powerful dedicated server for less money elsewhere, e.g: Game servers | Dedicated Servers - OVH

Definitely you would want to use a VPN to reach your cameras, because port forwarding the cameras is the only other option and that would just get the cameras hacked.