Blue iris, why not virtualized?

bestbeast

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another option is Intels new gpu which I hear is going to land this year. If it works and its affordable then it would be a great option to build a system with amd/ryzen cpu's.
Could be, need to check how much horse power it will need

Zigfreed

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been searching around, and it seems there is also much discussion about using dedicated GPUs for blue iris, as it can be a lost of energy. I have been searching around and found P400 (MAX 30W) and P600 (MAX 40W), don't know if anyone has tried, but it also seems to be a decent solution in case igpu can not be used, or is already is use for other stuff, and not that expensive for decoding h264 and h265.
Has anyone tried?

Kind regards
I am in the same boat. Considering a p400 for BI and keeping iGPU for Plex transcoding (Unraid, i3 UHD iGPU). Curious if you did use a P400 or similar for your BI setup and if it worked ok? Thanks!

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wanted to share my results for running BI on vSphere 6.7. This is a fresh installation, so all configurations are default. Using 3 IPC-B5442E-ZE cameras, I get 26% CPU while BI is minimized and 60% while its maximized. VM has 8x vCPU and 16GB, and is running Windows 2016 Server. Is this performance considered acceptable?

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share my results for running BI on vSphere 6.7. This is a fresh installation, so all configurations are default. Using 3 IPC-B5442E-ZE cameras, I get 26% CPU while BI is minimized and 60% while its maximized. VM has 8x vCPU and 16GB, and is running Windows 2016 Server. Is this performance considered acceptable?
Not knowing what model of CPU you are using, it is hard to say how good that is. It could be better, but could be worse.

You could cut the CPU requirements drastically and allow your system to scale up further with fewer vCPUs assigned if you have Blue Iris use sub streams too.

Is that last screenshot from the vCenter interface? I've only ever used esxi free and the built-in web UI that provides. It looks a bit different.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not knowing what model of CPU you are using, it is hard to say how good that is. It could be better, but could be worse.

You could cut the CPU requirements drastically and allow your system to scale up further with fewer vCPUs assigned if you have Blue Iris use sub streams too.

Is that last screenshot from the vCenter interface? I've only ever used esxi free and the built-in web UI that provides. It looks a bit different.
Each host has 2x Xenon X5650 CPUs and it is part of vCenter. I need to find out about sub streams, I do not know how they work. Thanks for bringing this up.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Each host has 2x Xenon X5650 CPUs and it is part of vCenter. I need to find out about sub streams, I do not know how they work. Thanks for bringing this up.
Here is my thread a couple years ago about putting BI in a VM for reference: Blue Iris in a VM? Yup no problem! Still works great! All of my BI installations are in VMs.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
With 11 year old CPUs, I am actually impressed that BI was keeping up with 3x 4MP @ 30 FPS streams without the FPS number dropping randomly. I don't think it would have streamed so smoothly if you'd been running 4K @ 30 FPS cameras.

Interesting to find such an old server running with expensive and much newer software licenses.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With 11 year old CPUs, I am actually impressed that BI was keeping up with 3x 4MP @ 30 FPS streams without the FPS number dropping randomly. I don't think it would have streamed so smoothly if you'd been running 4K @ 30 FPS cameras.

Interesting to find such an old server running with expensive and much newer software licenses.
Thanks bp2008. It seems based on your feedback that my results are acceptable, which is great :D I am receiving a Hikvision DS-2CD2087G2-LU 4K Super ColorVu this week. I will put it to test and see if I still get the same FPS/CPU stats.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wanted to share my updated performance metrics. Now I am running 5 cameras (4x IPC-B5442E-ZE and 1x DS-2CD2087G2-LU) all of cameras are utilizing DeepStack, which is also installed on the same server. BI is running as a service and minimized. My average is 25% CPU utilization and 32% Memory. VM has 8x vCPU and 16GB, and is running Windows 2016 Server.

Attachments