BlueIris not picking up motion in certain areas... need some help

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the Hikvision DS-2CD2347G1-L, it's an excellent quality camera, especially at night!

I've been testing BI's motion settings to alert me of any movement along my treeline and driveway at night.... will test during the day once I get this resolved.

The software will detect motion once I'm about 3/4 down my driveway towards the garage and flag an event, but near the road, it won't. It won't also pick up along the tree line which you see in "Non-alert" attachment. I've posted my settings too. To explain why the top center is disabled, it's for cars going by.

What can I do to fix this?
Non-Alert.PNG

Attachments

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Try decreasing the min object size value, you’ll need to experiment as objects further away will be smaller than close up. I use a value of around 350 for most of my cams.

You might also have to play around with the contrast value as to be honest that picture with you walking is quite hard to see.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll play with those settings tonight.

I ran the same walking test this morning with more light and the camera picked me right up as expected. I wonder if it's due to the light being a little darker down there?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, light.
But you need to adjust your motion sensor settings as seen in BI1. That is default, and is rarely right for all situations.
Turn off motion in the cameras

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you say turn of motion in the cameras, I thought that I had read that it needs to be on for BI to see the software? I don't know where I had read that to seen on a video but just wanted to confirm that it should be turned off.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you say turn of motion in the cameras, I thought that I had read that it needs to be on for BI to see the software? I don't know where I had read that to seen on a video but just wanted to confirm that it should be turned off.
Unless you are using PullPointSubscriptions in BI, or recording events to an SD card IN the camera as a backup, turn off the motion in the camera.
See help file.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll read up on the PullPointSubscriptions; I saw it but don't understand what it does. I have a Hikivision that supports it.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you may also want to enable high definition to help with picking up motion at night. Also, I agree with @IAmATeaf you need to turn down the contrast a bit for the night profile.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll read up on the PullPointSubscriptions; I saw it but don't understand what it does. I have a Hikivision that supports it.
BUT, you don't need/ want use both Bi motion detection and the in camera motion detection at the same time.
BI will do a much better job than the cams motion detection.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I plan on testing tonight. I shut off the in-camera motion settings although I wish I could use it's line crossing features and played with the contrasting too. I also turned on a scheduled day/night switching in the camera so that I can have different exposure and WDR settings for day vs. night and that made a visual difference for at night but will need to test it with plates and faces, etc when it's dark again.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's better. I had to really adjust the WDR down to about 15 as it caused tearing and skipping. I also shut off the hardware decoder (intel) and set to none and that helped too. The IP cam is set to direct to disk.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m sure I have WDR disabled, for me it washes out the picture.

You do need the hardware encoder enabled. If your getting streaking/tearing then when I had a similar issue it was related to the version of the intel video drivers, windows update had updated them which resulted in the tearing so I had to go back to my known working version.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It does- I have it set to 10 or 15 and it's enough to just put some light on the trees on the left and looks pretty good at night. During the day it's off.