Bringing Surveillance Application to Foreground when motion triggered under Windows

Pugnacious

n3wb
Reaction score
While I'm using Blue Iris as my security & surveillance software, this question probably benefits any other security software programs running under Windows.
If I have BI (or other security monitoring app) running in the background or in my systems tray while I'm working on a document or spreadsheet covering my entire screen and a motion triggers a camera, currently I cannot see it if my BI window is in the background.
Has anyone figured out a way to force that application to the foreground? BI has a setting which allows you to force the software window to be Always on top of other windows on the screen. However, that's only good to prevent other windows from popping up ahead of it. It doesn't work when BI is already in the background. I think this would be neat also if I was using my picture viewer / media player in the foreground and when a security event captures motion to allow BI or whatever app to pop over my currently running task.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Someone may be able to chime in here and help you but I think you will find most people running Blue Iris have a pc dedicated to Blue Iris and not used for anything else. As for other surveillance software I can't say.

Pugnacious

n3wb
Reaction score
Someone may be able to chime in here and help you but I think you will find most people running Blue Iris have a pc dedicated to Blue Iris and not used for anything else. As for other surveillance software I can't say.
Thanks. While I can appreciate a dedicated machine, I'm also envisioning a PC being used in a common family area that doesn't have to look like the security room in a Target :) My desire is to have that PC cycling through my family photo album but if a security event should occur, then that event would allow the security software to take priority over any other running application (at least on the display).

Chim Vang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am using a 8G/250GB mini PC with 2 HDMI outputs.One out put is connected to a monitor dedicated to BI and the other to my TV for the rest of the tasks.
All peripherals are connected through Bluetooth.
I can do other things and watch the cameras at the same time.