Browser plugins

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do Hikvision cameras have the same browser/plugin issues as Dahua?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do Hikvision cameras have the same browser/plugin issues as Dahua
Multi-browser support / No plugins needed for this :

And web GUI access works in Windows and mostly in Linux.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, for me, in order to view Dahua cams (at least the DH-IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS I have been playing with) with functions like digital zoom and mic/speaker control, it seems you have to use Internet Explorer as the browser. And that's only if you allow flash to run. It's pretty outdated and known to have security vulnerabilities not to mention doesn't format properly to the Microsoft Surface Book's screen i'm using. Chrome and Firefox format fine, but are missing numerous functions that show up on IE-11. I was just wondering if this is specific to Dahua or if others have the same issues. Specifically Hikvision.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The browsers like chrome, firefox, edge have increase there security so they will no longer support older version ip cameras. The older cameras do not support HTML5. Some can be upgrade some can not.
If you have a Chinese hack camera they are not upgragable.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This camera came from Andy. He's been great. We've tried a firmware upgrade with no luck. I'm assuming those that use software to view cams aren't concerned with the issue. Just wasn't ready to decide on an NVR or a PC and hoped I could just stream this cam to my laptop. I wondered if anyone had similar issues with Hikvision.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just wasn't ready to decide on an NVR or a PC and hoped I could just stream this cam to my laptop. I wondered if anyone had similar issues with Hikvision.
I have an older Hikvision that is dependent on a browser plugin. Seems that both Dahua/Hikvisions newer models depend less on plugins, but it depends on the specific model.

As for streaming without a NVR <and not having to use a browser>, you can always use SmartPSS on a computer and/or the xDMSS apps on smartphones/tablets.

rearanger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Multi-browser support is also on the older G1's with new 5.6 firmware.(I think) It may be possible to convert new plug-in to older cams.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, it would seem software is the best way to go. How do free programs like SmartPSS compare to Blue Iris? From what I've seen Blue Iris looks pretty powerful. Is SmartPSS fairly basic?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just tested palemoon 28.8.0 on a fresh install of windows 10. It requested the pluging which it downloaded and ran. no problems. This was for a junk ANNKE camera
NOTE:
PALEMOON 32 BIT
even if the os is 64 bit.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, it would seem software is the best way to go. How do free programs like SmartPSS compare to Blue Iris? From what I've seen Blue Iris looks pretty powerful. Is SmartPSS fairly basic?
SmartPSS and DMSS are viewers that can connect directly to your cameras (or to a NVR) and give you most of the same view options you get when you use a web browser to connect and view the camera.

I think you can capture snapshots and short video clips from either of those apps (when you’re watching live) but they’re not meant for full-time recording like a NVR or a PC running Blue Iris (PC-based NVR).

There is an optional component of the Windows version of SmartPSS called “PC NVR” that will run in the background on a PC and act like a light version of a NVR. I don’t think it has as many features as a regular Dahua NVR or Blue Iris. When you start this app, theres no user interface for it; you configure and control it via the SmartPSS app. I’ve only played with this a bit, I normally only used SmartPSS to live view my cameras before I got Blue Iris (which BTW has a built-in web server that lets you view live as well as recorded stuff without needing a browser plugin). Although if you’re on a Mac, Safari can’t do audio, you’ll need to use Chrome or Firefox for that.

All of these tools have a learning curve but are pretty easy to use after playing with them for a bit (IMO).

If anything I’d suggest you download the smartphone app and add your cameras to that. Makes live viewing when you’re at home easy. I think the app is called iDMSS for Apple and gDMSS for Android.