Bullet Mic Review

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me - how are you powering the Microseven M7WP - should I use a transformer that is 12/24 volts for just microphones or just plug into camera? It comes with a red 12v power and white audio female connector and a pigtail connector.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me - how are you powering the Microseven M7WP - should I use a transformer that is 12/24 volts for just microphones or just plug into camera? It comes with a red 12v power and white audio female connector and a pigtail connector.
You won't get power out of the camera's plug without modifying the camera (which is possible).
If you're going to use an external mic like this, imo the best option is to use a PoE splitter and use the 12V output from that to power both the camera and microphone.

I suggest you go back to the start of the tread and read it from the beginning.

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am right now... What is confusing me is I have my Cat6 run for PoE for my camera. If I run another Cat6 and power the mic I am trying to find a converter... probably over thinking this.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am right now... What is confusing me is I have my Cat6 run for PoE for my camera. If I run another Cat6 and power the mic I am trying to find a converter... probably over thinking this.
If you want to use this mic the options I suggest are:

PoE switch > Cable > PoE splitter with 12V output > Ethernet without power > Camera
You would connect the 12V output of the splitter to both the camera and microphone.

If were using a large PTZ, the best option would be
Ethernet (no power)> Camera
24VAC on different wires > Direct to PTZ & 12VAC to 12VDC converter (power supply) to the microphone

Other configurations you might imagine are likely to introduce large amounts of electrical noise that will be audible and undesirable.

This has all been explained in more detail earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok so I understand this part but I am need of understanding this I run a cable from PoE to a splitter 12v to the microphone. The audio output goes to camera input... is this correct? Also can I ru. The cat6 from a 12/24v transformer to the microphone alternatively

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Solar Deity I don't recall if you ever posted an update to your interference issues. What ultimately resolved the noise?

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
I had the interference issue after replacing a failed Microseven (M7-POESP12V) splitter with a new M7 splitter.
Had no sound issues before the splitter failed, Mic was being powered via a Dahua switch (PFS3110-8P-96)
I noticed that after replacing my Dahua switch with a Ubiquity us-8-150w, no more interference....
I am assuming that changing switches fixed the issue, as nothing else had changed. So if you could try another switch, that may very well fix the issue.

Last edited:

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Couldn't one cascade another POE Switch in to split the current POE Cable into multiple POE Ports.
I use the USW-Flex to do just that. It's like a 4 port POE "splitter" - 60W POE in - 4 POE Ports out (up to 46W total demand across the 4 ports) and I have a mic (POE split off to a barrel connector) with pass through to a Dahua cam, IR illuminator and 2 additional Dahua cams working great and they all pull 45watts at night and works flawlessly to date.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Nightish

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought I would put my two cents in. I just bought several Hikvision DS-2CD2665G1-IZS cameras to upgrade my camera system. Prior to this point I was using Cube Cameras that had built in microphones but due to where I have moved to, they were no longer adequate for some of my needs. Using a line in mic was a new experience and I had a couple of trial and errors before finding this thread. I have two TL-SG2210MP switches to do the POE portion so I ordered the mic and the POE spliter think that would work just fine. After they arrived, I used the POE splitter, and then the barrel splitter that comes with it to connect power to both the camera and the mic. The camera would light up temporarily (less than one second) and then shutdown and keep repeating this. So the camera wasn't getting enough power.

I did lots of testing even using 2 different POE injectors other than the switch to see if there was any resolution. One of the POE injectors managed to provide enough power to get it to start up, but it would never finish booting.

I did not want to run another cable just to supply power to the microphone and I also didn't want to hack my way to a solution. I ended up finding a solution on this forum with the following splitter Tycon Power Systems - POE-MSPLT-4812P-F. It continues to provide power through the Ethernet cable that connects to the camera while splitting off a 12V 1 Amp barrel connector for use by the microphone. I had to make a short cable to go from the splitter to the camera but this splitter successfully powers my camera and the microphone. In my testing I have had no sound issues from the microphone and the camera seems very happy as well. Hopefully this helps someone else as well.

Cuis

n3wb
Reaction score
Could it be that this device here: (brickcom wvs-01ap, manual behind link)

...could be used with for exaple m7wp microphone and blue iris? Price is decent 70€.

There's mic/line in and rj45 ports. Device itself is a server and if I got it right it takes any analog video and audio in and changes it to digital and forwards it to the network and in my case to blue iris. I mean that if it really does what manual says.. this would be ideal alternative for ip camera with line in.

And before anyone says "why won't you just buy a camera with line in" or..."camera with internal mic because they are really good these days".. just an alternative choice if any of those two is not possible.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...could be used with for exaple m7wp microphone and blue iris? Price is decent 70€.
Although having the word "brick" in your name is a bit off-putting to me, sounds good for 70€ but how much shipped to you in the USA ?
Hopefully it provides RTSP as it claims in the specs.

Cuis

n3wb
Reaction score
I live in Europe so it would be 75€ delivered. :) Item seems to be discontinued product but can still be found from many places. Yeah that "brick" made me also wonder but no man should never judge by the name:
1627745939071.png

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I installed a Microseven mic outside my garage about a year ago, but now the sound quality seems to be degraded. Do these need to be mounted so that they are pointed downward to keep water out of the hole on the end? I can hear the sound of cars swishing past but voices sound as if you had a laryngectomy.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Micorseven Mic Install

Tested a Micorseven M7WP microphone ($22.00 USD) for use with a Dahua 5242 and 2831 bullet cameras. The mic works well on both and is very sensitive.

Microseven Mic M7WP.jpg

Installed on the 2831 using a 9 VDC at 350 mA small transformer (heavy) type of wall wart. The wall wart is of the old design with no regulation but with good filtering. Required a separate pair of wires for the mic DC line which were in place for another application.

At no load, the output voltage is in the 16 to 17 DC volt range. Used 20 feet of shielded wire to connect the mic output audio to the 2831. Works perfectly with no RF interference or hum. The current at 17 VDC is a little over 1 mA (1000 microamps).

The second setup requires that two cameras use one mic as both cameras are within 18 inches of each other. One wide view and one closeup of the same view. The camera inputs (audio) are connected in parallel using one Micorseven mic output.

The overall gain is a bit less, but more than adequate on both cameras. Individual camera gain settings make up for any loss. The gain settings are different on both cameras, but still well within usable ranges. i.e. more audio gain than needed!

To power this second install, used a 12 VDC regulated wall wart (light weight - no transformer) from a Linksys router. It is well regulated with excellent filtering. i.e. the voltage does not change much from fully loaded to uploaded. At 12 VDC the current for the mic is at 760 micoramps. Again, used an existing pair of wires for the mic DC line.

The Micorseven mic will work at 5 VDC but not well. Would recommend starting at 6 VDC as the minimum. At 9 VDC the mike works very well up to 20 VDC.

Listing of mic current requirements at various DC voltages.

5 VDC - 360 microamps
6 VDC - 420 microamps
9 VDC - 600 microamps
12 VDC - 760 microamps
15 VDC - 930 microamps
16.24 VDC - 1000 microamps or (1 mA)

Some have asked if a 9 VDC battery could be used to power the mic. Overall the answer would be yes, but with frequent replacement. If the battery is rated at 450 mAh at .6 mA one could expect 750 hours (about 4 weeks) of 24 x 7 use.

However, if the camera has relay outputs that can be activated when motion occurs, then the mic would be only powered on with motion. Then powered off most of the time depending on motion within the chosen field of view.

Last edited:

Nightish

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed a Microseven mic outside my garage about a year ago, but now the sound quality seems to be degraded. Do these need to be mounted so that they are pointed downward to keep water out of the hole on the end? I can hear the sound of cars swishing past but voices sound as if you had a laryngectomy.
davej, the mic is not waterproof so yes, you would need to provide some sort of overhang or protection from the elements.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
davej, the mic is not waterproof so yes, you would need to provide some sort of overhang or protection from the elements.
The "Microseven M7WP-MIC Waterproof Outdoor Microphone" isn't waterproof?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The "Microseven M7WP-MIC Waterproof Outdoor Microphone" isn't waterproof?
Yes it is marketed as being waterproof. I have had two of those microphones outside, one that's going on four years the other one's going on 2 years. But both are mounted with the microphone portion pointed down at a 45° angle so water doesn't enter in the microphone hole directly. But my two are also underneath the eve of the house. I have all connections properly waterproofed as well.

I would contact micro7 and see what they say about it. They may replace it.