Burnt PoE Pins on Camera & Cable?

DTDC

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had multiple (3-4) cameras of various brands that have had their PoE pins burnt/charred to the point of being inoperative. Some of the cameras will operate with separate 12V power while others will not. These are outdoor cameras with sealed connectors.

My PoE Switch: BV-Tech 10 Port PoE+ 802.3at

Combination of CAT5 and CAT6 cables with Ideal brand connectors. The problem has always been at the camera end, never at the PoE switch.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

~D20230609_204503.jpg20230609_204439.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The pins black burnt marks looks like lightning strike to me too. I saw similar damage to my phone line pins once after a heavy lightning storm.

DTDC

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been able to revive those cameras by lightly brushing the connectors. I had to replace the connector on one camera. Yes, moisture was the culprit.
What connector did you use?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like corrosion due to water ingress.

Below is a quick copy & paste from a Nov. of '22 thread that I replied to, it has some good links. If you haven't already done so, this below is my suggestion to try and clean the female RJ-45 on the cam's pigtail:

I would recommend replacing the RJ-45 male at the camera end first, as you can inspect the connector for corrosion when you unplug it.
If you find corrosion, install and test a new male RJ-45 and clean the female on the cam's pigtail with DeoxIT D5 then after testing, follow this procedure for weather-proofing the connection.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DTDC

n3wb
Reaction score
A Klien VDV826-729 Cat6 connector. A Cat5 would probably work better because of the small wire diameter. Then, I used a waterproof connector to hook up to the cable. I also used the T568B wiring pattern.
A plug, not a socket on the camera side?

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is likely moisture, though I wouldn't expect to see a short across those pins. I always opt for dielectric grease and then give the waterproof housing a good wrap w/ silicon tape. The silicon tape is amazing stuff and self fuses to make a 'custom' waterproof enclosure around the connector

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thinking about this a little more - can you inspect the Cat5/Cat6 cable for any knicks/damage? I am wondering if a knick in the cable formed a connection between pins 4&3 and moisture shorted 3 to 2, perhaps a sequence of unfortunate events.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's probably more like electrolysis: DC voltage, excess moisture and metallic plating on pins acting like anodes and electrodes.
Ahh that also makes sense, didn't think of that!