California Law Favors Car Door Checkers

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I would not normally post political stories but this one is about people checking your car doors to see if they are open.

Headline: Car burglaries in some California cities are at crisis levels. Prosecutors say their hands are tied

Story:
SACRAMENTO — An epidemic of car burglaries in San Francisco over the last few years has led one Democratic lawmaker to propose plugging a loophole in state law that allows some break-ins to go unpunished, but the Legislature has balked at prosecutors’ requests to make obtaining convictions easier. The proposal, which would eliminate a requirement that prosecutors prove a car’s doors were locked at the time of a break-in, has been shelved two years in a row in legislative committees. Lawmakers struggling with prison crowding and public pressure to enact criminal justice reform have been reluctant to do anything to put more people behind bars.
But local officials and the legislator behind the bill say the legislation is needed to help chip away at a statewide car burglary problem that they believe has reached crisis levels in some cities.
“It’s ridiculous that under current law you can have a video of someone bashing out a car window, but if you can’t prove that the door is locked you may not be able to get an auto burglary conviction,” said state Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco), who introduced the legislation at the request of the San Francisco district attorney’s office.
Across California, there were 243,000 thefts from automobiles last year. Though the number of car break-ins was higher during the peak year of 2017, last year’s statewide number is well above the annual average of 223,000 for the eight previous years. San Francisco saw car burglaries spike by 24% from 2016 to 2017. While they dropped 13% last year and 4% so far this year, the numbers remain on track to be higher than pre-2017 tallies unless more is done, officials say.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually to be fair, the stoopid has landed here as well. Last year the fine educated voters of Floriduh voted to give felons back the right to vote. 500,000 new________ votes

And as another example of political correctness winning out over common sense, just today our brand new Orlando Fire Chief states that the single most important thing for the Department was.... .......... not equipment, nor manpower or training, or cutting response times........... ........ but ...... diversity.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly. Then if you forget to lock your car door it gives someone the right to rummage through your car????? How about if you forget to lock the door on your house?
iirc - then that is entry. If locked then breaking and entry... or something along those lines... remember to post ""no trespassing"

So, how does one "prove" their doors were locked?
Hard to now with the remote unlocking attacks...

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
It's the same everywhere. They could stop most crimes if they really wanted to. As you say, they're more concerned with the cost of prisons than in stopping crime. A good example is Parole. You get 50% off your sentence for being good. How does that work? Surely you should serve your full sentence and get more added if you're bad - reason is they want people out of prison because it costs, just as sending too many there in the 1st place does.

One self protecting aspect is lock your doors. Almost no-one in the UK would ever contemplate leaving a door unlocked, ever. Can't quite understand why in the US so many leave everything unlocked. Protect yourselves folks and then at least you can have the toe rag prosecuted if they do steal from you.

Hard to now with the remote unlocking attacks...
Something you can do with CCTV, is make a point of turning around and pointing the remote at the car after getting out. If the worst happens, you then have yourself on CCTV locking the doors.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Something you can do with CCTV, is make a point of turning around and pointing the remote at the car after getting out. If the worst happens, you then have yourself on CCTV locking the doors.
Not a bad idea! And if it's a car without keyless entry, stick your key in and turn it. Hard to argue that it wasn't locked if you have that recorded.

I detest thieves!

Reaction score
Californistan . . . sigh . . .

A certain despised billionaire oligarch and his sons have quietly been paying to support these kinds of do-nothing prosecutors and get them elected, across the nation. Be mindful, and keep a close eye on them. It's not just Californistan.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Californistan . . . sigh . . .

A certain despised billionaire oligarch and his sons have quietly been paying to support these kinds of do-nothing prosecutors and get them elected, across the nation. Be mindful, and keep a close eye on them. It's not just Californistan.
Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if they change the law out there (or somewhere) so that B & E is considered to be as much of a non-crime as many now consider crossing the border illegally is.
I'd be even less surprised if somewhere they declare a sanctuary city for burglars, car thieves, shoplifters and other "victim-less, non-violent" crimes....excuse me...not "crimes", I meant to say "infractions". :facepalm:

OK, got that off my chest...I know this is NOT a forum for such a soapbox, so I'll get off it, apologize and move on.....for now.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if they change the law out there (or somewhere) so that B & E is considered to be as much of a non-crime as many now consider crossing the border illegally is.
I'd be even less surprised if somewhere they declare a sanctuary city for burglars, car thieves, shoplifters and other "victim-less, non-violent" crimes....excuse me...not "crimes", I meant to say "infractions". :facepalm:

OK, got that off my chest...I know this is NOT a forum for such a soapbox, so I'll get off it, apologize and move on.....for now.
This city would be the perfect place, Then you can hire this guy to over see it.

1575569365154.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Daughter in law was telling me last night that the new rage at schools is this thinking.
If every student has to wear the same uniform, then that helps the student academically because they don't use up any brain cells deciding on what to wear every morning. Thus, they have more brain power to do school work through out the day. o_O

Reaction score
Daughter in law was telling me last night that the new rage at schools is this thinking.
If every student has to wear the same uniform, then that helps the student academically because they don't use up any brain cells deciding on what to wear every morning. Thus, they have more brain power to do school work through out the day. o_O
Students who actually believe that malarkey probably believe in the invisible birth control pill, too.
"If she'll believe this, she'll believe anything."

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Students who actually believe that malarkey probably believe in the invisible birth control pill, too.
"If she'll believe this, she'll believe anything."
This is coming from the FACULTY, not the students. They are instituting policy's based on the nonsense. Some joker somewhere surely got a big government grant, and to continue receiving his free money, he had to write up something.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a school just desperate to justify it's desire to keep uniforms. We had it years ago at our school. The difference was, back then such lame reasons didn't wash, so the reason they persuaded us was, if there was any trouble outside of school, the uniform would prove it wasn't us involved if we got accused. Same lame ass excuse, different reasoning.

Last edited: