Camera mount junction box?

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what the naming might be but I am wondering about affordable "camera mounting junction boxes".

I'm going to be wiring for a few cameras around the perimeter of my house. And all the current cameras that I have, have black pigtails with 2-3 wiring connections(ethernet connection, power connection, reset button). These would not be attractive if left exposed.

I have intention to mount all my cameras where the Cat6 wiring would be exposed for some distance to the camera. As I plan to mount the first 3 under the eaves of my house.

I would prefer that conduit be ran for a short distance where the ethernet wire would come out from the addict under the eve of my house to a junction box that the camera could be mounted on to hide the short pigtail of the cameras. and I would want this to be future-proof as I probably well be swapping out for better more sophisticated cameras in the future.

Ideas?

Sent using Tapatalk

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of the big camera manufactures make junction boxes specific to their camera models, so I'd start with them first and see what the have.

Most of my cameras are Dahua, so if I look up a model on their website they'll show the specific junction boxes (and other mounting options) that work.

For example:
Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 9.58.15 PM.png

Hopefully whoever made your cameras will offer something similar!

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On my outdoor cameras I simply got a 4" outdoor plastic box with a blank waterproof cover. The camera came with a template which made drilling the plate even easier. I drilled a center hole for the wire coming out of the wall (filled with silicone rubber after to seal) and mounted it with the 4 tabs that were part of the box.
Cheap and effective

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On my outdoor cameras I simply got a 4" outdoor plastic box with a blank waterproof cover. The camera came with a template which made drilling the plate even easier. I drilled a center hole for the wire coming out of the wall (filled with silicone rubber after to seal) and mounted it with the 4 tabs that were part of the box.
Cheap and effective
it doesn't look as good as the original box for the cam.

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Cheap and effective
That's sort of what I was thinking. As some of the manufacturers boxes are somewhat pricey and proprietary, so that it seems if you wanted a different brand camera you'd have to swap out the whole box, and in my case probably redo the conduit. Just wondering what others here do for a more universal box. With a box like you use it seems you'd only have to swap out a new lid plate if you changed camera/mount type.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @Oceanslider

Best option for greatest flexibility is the DIY option by getting a standard outdoor junction box from home depot / lowes and modding the lid

see what @TonyR posted on this topic:
Bullet Camera Mounting Box

For Dahua cameras the base of the PFA121 and PFA122 are the same, the only difference is the lids. So that's a good option for the Dahua OEM line up of cameras. Still not really a universal junction box.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @Oceanslider

Best option for greatest flexibility is the DIY option by getting a standard outdoor junction box from home depot / lowes and modding the lid

see what @TonyR posted on this topic:
Bullet Camera Mounting Box

For Dahua cameras the base of the PFA121 and PFA122 are the same, the only difference is the lids. So that's a good option for the Dahua OEM line up of cameras. Still not really a universal junction box.
Excellent, that’s exactly what I was thinking, or hoping, I could find. Thank you

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've used both 1 and 2 out of those photos.

2 is solid metal if that's a consideration. I can't remember about 1.