Cameras with Built-in ANPR or LPR function

nosnoop

n3wb
Reaction score
I wonder why there is little discussion on cameras with built-in ANPR or LPR function.

Hikvision has some cameras like DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZS (Darkfighter) & DS-2CD4A25FWD-IZS (Lightfighter) with LPR function and 8-32mm lens option. The LPR looks pretty impressive on youtube video. The Darkfighter costs about $450 on Aliexpress. So even though they are not cheap, they are not unaffordable either. Especially it means that you do not have to mess around with OpenALPR and subscription fee.

The main problem when I look into these models is the confusion of which models actually has LPR function. Hikvision does not list it under specification in their web site, and apparently, you need to install special firmware to have this function. But which other cameras are compatible with the LPR firmware? And then there is regional difference and availability with LPR.

I would like to hear about real life experience with these ANPR cameras.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats just the camera; have you also seen how much the VMS software module for ANPR costs? last I checked it was over a grand, dont think the cameras will do much standalone.

nosnoop

n3wb
Reaction score
thats just the camera; have you also seen how much the VMS software module for ANPR costs? last I checked it was over a grand, dont think the cameras will do much standalone.
Actually, using the WebUI and the camera alone, it would work as a LPR setup. You just need to attach a microSD card (up to 128GB).
With the microSD card, you can optionally upload a white list and black list into the camera. And the camera would save a list of license plates complete with capture time, OCR plate numbers and a still image of the plate. You can configure it to FTP the captured still automatically, or use WebUI to review the LPR list and stills, perform plate number search, or watch the real time capture and LPR. It would not save video to the microSD card, but with the capture time, even if you attach the camera to a non-LPR NVR, you can easily find the video clip of the particular car you are interested in.

If you use the camera with a LPR NVR (Hikvision I4 or E4 series NVR - but one thing I am not sure - does it need special firmware?), you don't need the microSD card. You can do all the functions, plus it would automatically playback the video clip of the car.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually, using the WebUI and the camera alone, it would work as a LPR setup. You just need to attach a microSD card (up to 128GB).
With the microSD card, you can optionally upload a white list and black list into the camera. And the camera would save a list of license plates complete with capture time, OCR plate numbers and a still image of the plate. You can configure it to FTP the captured still automatically, or use WebUI to review the LPR list and stills, perform plate number search, or watch the real time capture and LPR. It would not save video to the microSD card, but with the capture time, even if you attach the camera to a non-LPR NVR, you can easily find the video clip of the particular car you are interested in.

If you use the camera with a LPR NVR (Hikvision I4 or E4 series NVR - but one thing I am not sure - does it need special firmware?), you don't need the microSD card. You can do all the functions, plus it would automatically playback the video clip of the car.

So, have you actually purchased one of their LPR functional cameras or figured out the models that do have it? The models you mention say nothing about LPR on their spec sheets.

Anyone know the cost of one of these with the LPR firmware?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just thought Id ask again...
I have read through a few different threads about LPR set ups and as a mere mortal, no way I'd be able to do it.
I would def need a camera that does out of the box what is discussed above without a special setup or NVR, I use BI).

niedziel

n3wb
Reaction score
I have DS-2CD4A25FWD-IZHS with 2.8-12mm. And Yes it needs special firmware with lpr fuction. cost me few months ago around $390. It works with a gate very well. Everything is configured through webui.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have DS-2CD4A25FWD-IZHS with 2.8-12mm. And Yes it needs special firmware with lpr fuction. cost me few months ago around $390. It works with a gate very well. Everything is configured through webui.
Where can I find this for that price? So far my google search has turned up from low $500's to $900's.
Thx

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, this line of camera/functionality is either a guarded secret or so specialized that "folks in-the-know" aren't very willing to share much about them. It's like pulling teeth to get people to open up... or perhaps the tech is still too quirky to go mainstream.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Given the interest in LPR and what appears to be lackluster results by several posters after a lot of effort trying to make their camera choice work consistently well for this purpose, the only thought as to why these ANPR LPR specific cameras do not have much conversation here is maybe the cost.
I'd love to find more input on these cameras from people with actual use experience.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone considered LPR cam (tactical) placement in their mailbox for better flat level shots at passing cars? Some mailboxes have an upper box and then a lower box for flyers/newspapers, etc. The bottom box could be tactically fitted with a cam with a cutout for the lens. PoE could be run under the sidewalk (if necessary) and up through the pole or along the pole (painted to match). The cam could capture plates all day at very close range and at an ideal angle.

nosnoop

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, this line of camera/functionality is either a guarded secret or so specialized that "folks in-the-know" aren't very willing to share much about them. It's like pulling teeth to get people to open up... or perhaps the tech is still too quirky to go mainstream.
There are a few reasons. First, there is the confusion caused by the fact that it does not have LPR function out of the box. And this function is not advertised in the product description or specification in Hikvision web site. There are even different versions of the camera brochure, one with LPR, and one don't. You need to install special firmware to activate the LPR function. And this firmware is NOT available for download from official Hikvison site.
Second, it is just simply harder to buy these cameras. You face the dilemma of buying from authorized dealers and paying much higher cost, or buying from unauthorized dealers which may or may not have the LPR firmware. And many unauthorized dealers are not even aware of this specialized LPR firmware. For example, none of the Aliexpress listing above mention anything about LPR in the product description.

From where do you get the firmware?
Only the dealers have access to this firmware. And this usually means authorized Hikvision dealers.
And you need to make sure of this and ask for availability of LPR firmware before ordering the camera.

Last edited:

Mike Mo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you confirm that this firmware has the lpr software, and works with the darkfighter or lightfighter models? I reviewed the notes, but not entirely sure.

I'd consider getting the cameras on aliexpress if the firmware can be had with the anpr built in. Thanks so much