Can't find PTZ Home position

Reaction score
Hi again,

I now have multiple trigger cams and clones directing my Empire PTZ292 to 7 presets. Triggering the trigger cam makes the PTZ move to the proper preset, however I can't figure out how to make it return to Preset 1 (preferred home position) after some period of time, say 30 seconds. I've searched and read various threads about this with no luck. For example, it was suggested to use the PTZ camera schedule to Preset 1 but when I do that, then trigger the trigger cam, the PTZ moves to the right spot and immediately returns to Preset 1 position. Someone mentioned using the camera GUI to set the home position but there is no such setting. I've played with some of the Alert settings.

Can anyone tell me which BI or Dahua GUI function tells the camera to stay at a preset position for a certain time, then return "home"?

Thank you.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use Idle Motion or Time Task.

I use Time Task because it allows me to set multiple values and a schedule. So for part of the day I want it to make its "home" a different preset than at another part of the day

Older UI
PTZ-TimeTask.jpg

New UI
TimeTask1.jpg TimeTask2.jpg

Last edited:

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Set up a schedule in BI.
Here is an excert from @wittaj post"Using Spotter Cameras to direct a PTZ where to look in an NVR or Blue Iris and setting a spotter cam as a priority in Blue Iris"

"You also have to set a schedule up for the PTZ so that it will go back to the preset once it is done with the trigger.

Open up the camera settings and select the Schedule tab.

Then at the bottom right is an "Events Schedule" button. Select it.

Then you get a menu where you can tell it to go to different presets based on time of day or with sunrise/sunset. If you don't have different ones, then just enable a schedule that is the same preset, or you can do as I did and have different presets for different times of days. "

Reaction score
I have the old GUI and it has idle time, and it seems to apply equally to all preset numbers, which is fine if it worked. I have it set to 1 minute and doesn't work, the camera moves to position and immediately goes back to preset 1 without pausing.

Ri22o: with your newer GUI do you get to select idle time for each preset number or does the 1 minute automatically apply to all of them? I also need to get on the Dahua Wiki and see what they say about these things.

I have entered Preset 1 into the BI PTZ camera schedule but it only has time of day entered, which is maybe good enough to make it the default like it is doing, but nothing in this schedule seems to have anything to do with the "loiter time" when called to a preset. I see other terms in the Trigger section like "dwell", "delay", etc. but haven't tried those yet for either the trigger cam or PTZ. I have PTZ max travel time set to 20 seconds but that doesn't seem to have an effect.

Still looking for that elusive "trigger and hold for xx sec" solution.

I did discover something quite useful to know, probably common knowledge for most of you: I've been doing most of my settings for my trigger cam and clones (I especially notice this in Trigger settings) at night while in Profile 3. The next day I'd go check the settings and they would be different or gone! What the heck? Well it turns out those settings apply to whatever Profile you're in at the time. So now for Profiles 2, 3, and 4 I have checked the box "sync with Profile 1". This makes the trigger zones, preset action, and group "PTZ" the same for all profiles and all times of day.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the old GUI and it has idle time, and it seems to apply equally to all preset numbers, which is fine if it worked. I have it set to 1 minute and doesn't work, the camera moves to position and immediately goes back to preset 1 without pausing.

Ri22o: with your newer GUI do you get to select idle time for each preset number or does the 1 minute automatically apply to all of them? I also need to get on the Dahua Wiki and see what they say about these things.
Regardless of which preset or manual location the PTZ is moved to, after 1 minute of no PTZ motion it will return to the preset chosen in the setting. In this case it would return to 6.

Reaction score
I FOUND IT! See the attached image, Not able to paste a snippet for some reason, but in the PTZ camera's settings, in the PTZ/Control tab, "Resume cycle/schedule after inactivity (sec)" , is what appears to control the loiter time when directed to a preset by the trigger cam. I played with different time intervals and it correlates very well. The Max Travel Time had no effect on loiter time. Maybe I have finally been able to contribute something to the forum :) This loiter time doesn't correlate with the subject line of this post so I may repost later.