Carelessness cost me...I got hit...

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to see this and sorry about your stuff. Hope you / they catch this jerk

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From a physical/kinetic response point of view... what chance does the typical American homeowner (male) say about 45 years old with typical fitness/conditioning - have at 3am if they happen to see a SINGLE suspect messing around with a car in his driveway? Assuming that the 45 year old guy puts on sneakers, clothing and exits his house with the goal of taking custody of the suspect. Let's leave guns/weapons out of this scenario and assume neither the suspect nor the homeowner are armed. The typical suspect is 20 years old and already physically 'warmed up' and capable of sprinting away. What are the chances that the typical homeowner would have a chance at catching him?

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how much money or technology you throw at the problem. Doesn't it come down to a foot race, tackle and overpowering the suspect?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
From a physical/kinetic response point of view... what chance does the typical American homeowner (male) say about 45 years old with typical fitness/conditioning - have at 3am if they happen to see a SINGLE suspect messing around with a car in his driveway? Assuming that the 45 year old guy puts on sneakers, clothing and exits his house with the goal of taking custody of the suspect. Let's leave guns/weapons out of this scenario and assume neither the suspect nor the homeowner are armed. The typical suspect is 20 years old and already physically 'warmed up' and capable of sprinting away. What are the chances that the typical homeowner would have a chance at catching him?
In this situation I think it's safe to say that if the average homeowner doesn't have anything stolen, if they chase the perp away then I think it's a win for the homeowner.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A win for that homeowner in that exact moment. However the suspect simply slips away, then resets his operations ten minutes later, continues checking neighbors homes and eventual swings back and checks that same homeowner's car again. As homeowners we're at such a lopsided disadvantage when it comes to the absolute basics of this real world situation. The suspect is rich in resources (younger, hungrier, more athletic, more motivated, more stealthy, tactically aware, etc.) while the homeowner (older, lazier/half asleep at 3am, angry about what's going on but too complacent to actually do something about it, and able to replace anything with money)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A win for that homeowner in that exact moment. However the suspect simply slips away, then resets his operations ten minutes later, continues checking neighbors homes and eventual swings back and checks that same homeowner's car again. As homeowners we're at such a lopsided disadvantage when it comes to the absolute basics of this real world situation. The suspect is rich in resources (younger, hungrier, more athletic, more motivated, more stealthy, tactically aware, etc.) while the homeowner (older, lazier/half asleep at 3am, angry about what's going on but too complacent to actually do something about it, and able to replace anything with money)
If the neighbors don't take the same actions as a homeowner then it's their loss... To recommend sitting idle while your possessions are being stolen is just insane....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way there's a video on this forum of a homeowner doing just that and apprehending the suspect ...

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So many perps with guns these days, even if you are carrying yourself, confronting is risking your life...for a laptop. Worth the gamble? Against a possible cracked up thug looking to steal stuff to pawn for more drugs? I don't think so, IMO.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On the other hand, if you are the "go get 'em" type, Castle law, (here in Missouri) often protects you in when involved in the shooting of a perp in your yard like it did for this guy.
He shot and killed a 13 yr old he found breaking into his car in his yard.
He was not charged on the killing but did receive 3 yrs probation for himself being , a "felon in possession of the gun".
Man Gets Probation for Killing 13-Year-Old Who Broke Into His Car

Castle Law here is complex though and it could go the other direction on you depending on the specifics of the incident.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was careless with a false sense of security. Bright LED light. Practically next door to a gun shop (don't all the neighbors own a gun?) Never been targeted. But, this jerk got me. This is the full length video from when he first appears to when he took off.
Ouch, that hurts - sorry to see you have to deal with this.

Curious if there is something you feel you would do differently now with regards to your security camera setup.

Right now I feel that a minimum of 2 cameras to cover parked cars in the driveway is what to plan for.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Right now I feel that a minimum of 2 cameras to cover parked cars in the driveway is what to plan for.
Roger that, best to have 2 cams at least 90 degrees from each other. I have my mission critical areas covered with 2 cams at 90 degrees from each FOV and one at 180 degrees to watch what happens if someone walks off with something. Not that anyone would do that.

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These idiots are everywhere and they don't care. From what I can tell they have very low risk and even if caught they do not face much in terms of repercussions. That's why they only go after unlocked cars etc.

Our society has grown too soft where we rely on police and the system, and penalize those that don't. Let a dog chase them down and given them a lesson they will remember -- probably get sued and the dog put down. Shoot them up with a 12 gauge loaded with rock salt - end up in jail and a lawsuit. Maybe have better luck in some states but I would not risk my freedom over a nobody.

At the same time I can't comprehend letting anyone steal my stuff and not intervene. I think I would go out with a gun, try to hold at gunpoint. If the perp runs - let him go.

Sorry to the OP I know it sucks. These hoodie backpack zombies are everywhere and we are all human and can forget to lock the car one time or another.

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have already added another camera, pointing camera left towards the house. This would have gotten more of him coming and going. The camera covering the left side is set back, and is a great choke point camera, but it does miss some of the driveway. I may add another camera to fully cover all the parked cars.

Here is the new camera that I have added so far.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Ouch, that hurts - sorry to see you have to deal with this.

Curious if there is something you feel you would do differently now with regards to your security camera setup.

I have 3 cameras covering the parked cars in my driveway. I also have 3 parked cars.

jcc

n3wb
Reaction score
Tough love moment, You put up lights and cams, but don't lock the doors or take valuables out of the truck? ;)

I owned a biz for 27 years, and one thing I learned quickly, lock the doors every time you exit the car. I regularly had customers coming and complaining that someone had stole stuff out of their car while in our parking lot. Including car batteries. This was in a "safe" small town.
A few cars also stolen, because of keys left in the ignition.

Doors locked? No.
Windows rolled up? No.

I don't know if it's still the same, but once upon a time insurance would deny your claim if there was no signs of forced entry.

Watch some of these:
Active Self Protection
Well said, looney, surveillance tech alone couldn't have prevented this theft. How about an alarm camera, or anything different that could have been done to make us believe we're not spending all this money on a false sense of security?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well said, looney, surveillance tech alone couldn't have prevented this theft. How about an alarm camera, or anything different that could have been done to make us believe we're not spending all this money on a false sense of security?
Cameras are not there to provide security....but if you mix good PIR sensors or setup reliable motion detection with and audible message it is very effective.... for the home interior a proper alarm is a must...

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cameras are not there to provide security....but if you mix good PIR sensors or setup reliable motion detection with and audible message it is very effective.... for the home interior a proper alarm is a must...
I have a interior cam setup to push triggered alert MMS message to my phone through Blur Iris. The motion detection is set for extremely low false alarms, if any. It took awhile to set thresholds right. I agree PIR sensor would be best. My phone is set to produce a loud "Chemical Alarm wave file" from the BI push, so it is very noticeable. There is about 15 sec latency to get a phone alarm from trigger, and I can see a pic of what happened. In Florida, if you have monitored alarm system, the monitoring company is now required to call the owner 2X before they call the police. Do not know how long they wait between calls. This is to reduce police runs from false alarms. I figure I can call 911 faster and tell them exactly what is going on from live video. I also have a complete home alarm system for immediate audio alarm inside and outside house.

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for someone to make a commercial cell-phone IMEI catcher or sniffer that logs the presence and IMEI number of near-by cell phones. Take that to the cops when you get a break-in caught on camera and they'll be able to track down and prosecute the suspect. Because everyone, including midnight punks, carry cell phones. It's time we had the ability to leverage this for suspect identification.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hit the alarm button on your fob, better than doing nothing at all if the cops don't.