CASE/LCD Screen MOD Box - Lenovo ThinkCentre M92P (Improved Airflow)

Zelf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, it's my first beginner setup has an enthusiast in this field!

Bought some parts for the most bang for the bucks on a budget.

IP Cam Mainframe :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Desktop : Lenovo ThinkCentre M92P Type:3227
CPU : Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.4GHz 4C/8T (Multithread and Quick Sync enabled)
RAM : Kingston 16GB (4x4GB)
SSD : Kingston A400 240GB
HDD : Western Digital Purple 4TB 5400rpm (New Generation)
SATA power cable Splitter : StarTech.com PYO2SATA 15cm
Extra FAN : Noctua NF A6x25 FLX 60mm 3pin Quiet Fan
LCD Screen : Acer AL1714 (VGA Only) 17inchs
Gigabit POE Switch : D-Link DGS-1008P
IP Cam : 1 x Nelly's Security 1080p (2MP) 2.8mm lens H.265 Turret Dome
Cat6 Cable : PrimeCables 250ft 23AWG 550MHz Bare Copper UTP UnShielded
Network Crimping/Cable Tester : Kuman's tools kit (with 10 x RJ45 crystal headers included)
Software : Blue Iris

Total cost : 835$CAD (Around 625$US)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case Mod Tools & Details :

- Removed all components with the front panel and I/O shield and Spray painted the case Flat Black from inside out, tapped the parts i didn't want to paint... Examples : stickers with serials and specs, purple switch to open case.

- Drill to puncture holes for the M4 screws of the LCD screen on the desktop door cover metal panel,
plus Dremel to cut out the sharp excess on the sides of the holes.

- Removed permanently DVD drive with its assigned Lenovo plastic front panel and replaced it with a 5.25 bay drive metal mesh cover for better airflow intake.

- Reversed the stock CPU Air cooler upside down and applied some fresh Artic MX4 thermal paste.
-Reversed the front panel fan so it shoot outside the air.

- Opened PSU box and reversed the fan inside so the intake is on the back of the computer and shooting fresh air from the bottom directly into the CPU cooler (Note the desktop stands reversed from its default designed position upside down. You see the rubber feets on the top).

-Adding the Noctua 60mm fan in the back at the top as the 2nd active intake,
located just over and in front of the PCI ports.

-Will add some Velcro sticky strips between POE Switch and Top Case between the middle case door crack.

(*Some parts in last image missing or photoshoped because im still waiting their delivery)

Attachments

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Very pretty. I used to do stuff like that.

Not sure all the work makes a difference in our application. Most of us just toss a couple drives in a small profile box and shove it in a closet and it works fine.

Seems like lots of work for one camera. Tell us a bit about your expansion plans.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
well, I like how you mounted the screen. I'm not certain all the rest was needed as Lenovo had the airflow already fine I'd guess. Still, its always fun to do things like that. Looks good.

Zelf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wanted to have fun, i guess optimising the airflow is a must if it is hidden inside a wall (ex closet turned into a hidden space) will put maybe a mini fan on the rear to blow the top hot air out.
My setup is 1 cam for now, but can expand to 4 with my switch. Maybe 8 in the following years.

Saving to get this final piece to the setup :
Back UPS PRO BR 1500VA, SineWave, 10 Outlets, 2 USB Charging Ports, AVR, LCD interface - APC USA

Also the equipement will rest on a rotating round mini table so when not troubleshooting it with the screen i turn it to the side to let the airflow shooting out throught the opening camouflaged mesh of the hidden compartment.

Thx!

Last edited:

Zelf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Received the : Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX
& the WD purple 4TB today.
+ Crimping network testing toolkit!
Needed to dremel the mini-pci metal back plate curved on the inside wich blocked and would have scratched the fan.
Repainted them flat black.

Attachments

Last edited: