Connect to Cameras on NVR POE subnet

Reaction score
I have just purchased and installed an Oyn-x/Qvis Falcon NVR and 6 Qvis IP cameras. If I had realised that NVRs with built in POE ports used a different network segment to the local LAN I would probably have just bought a standard IP NVR and a POE Switch to avoid this issue. Anyway enough of the rant.
I have just read the very useful thread by
[B][I]Shockwave199[/I][/B] Hitting cameras web pages with a laptop in an NVR with POE which partly answered my question. I would like to directly access the cameras on their own IP scope in my case 11.1.xx.xxx. from my existing Lan scope 10.0.x.xxx without having to configure a PC/laptop with the same network subnet as the cameras. the reason for this is the availability of basic IP camera viewer Apps for Smart TVs and Roku devices which wont work with a POE NVR. What I was wondering was whether I can use a cable router to do this? My idea was to configure the WAN interface of the router with the camera IP range and the LAN ports of the router with my LAN scope. My thinking is that I just put the camera IP address into the web browser on my LAN and the router will do the network routing to the camera. Sounds straight forward but am I missing something fundamental. I dare say a managed switch would achieve this but ethernet routers are much cheaper and easier to get hold of.
Fozzie

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
A while back I bought, fixed up, and re-sold a Qvis PoE NVR.
I was surprised to find that, unlike Hikvision NVRs, the PoE ports simply operated as switches with direct connectivity to the LAN.
This meant that if the ports were re-addressed to the LAN range, the connected cameras were directly accessible.
It may be worth checking that on your NVR.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi TeddyBear! No experience with this Oyn-X/Qvis NVR, but there might be some alternatives for you to try out:
option 1: the easiest (yet unsecurest) path: configure your NVR so that it DOES NOT distribute any IP address to its POE ports. This is probably called DHCP service (or something similar). Turn that off. Then plug 1 additional ethernet cable from one of the POE ports to your Router. Then reboot your NVR (which will powercycle your cameras). If all goes well (and nothing explodes or the earth stops turning), your camera's will get an address from your home router and will be reachable through their 11.1.xx address. You then probably have to "reconfigure" the channels on the NVR to reflect to the camera's new ip addresses. Do take note that your cams are on your plain lan, if they go rogue and eat up your IOT fridge or fry your NAS: this remains unsafe.
option 2: this depends on the firmware (eg this is the case for Dahua NVR): your NVR might be able to "port forward"/"NAT" from your LAN towards the "private" POE LAN. By connecting to (out of my head): , you'll end up at the first POE camera. But you have to do some portknocking in the GUI first. Difficult, cumbersome, but little bit more safe as nobody can reach your cams directly.
Good luck!
CC

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
A while back I bought, fixed up, and re-sold a Qvis PoE NVR.
I was surprised to find that, unlike Hikvision NVRs, the PoE ports simply operated as switches with direct connectivity to the LAN.
This meant that if the ports were re-addressed to the LAN range, the connected cameras were directly accessible.
It may be worth checking that on your NVR.