Connecting two remote locations

visata

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to monitor two properties located in different cities which have access to internet, electricity.

How do I connect them so all the streams are stored in one place (either NVR or maybe BI) and can be accessed via a single app.

My idea is to deploy a NVR or BI on my home office (location A) with all required cameras and only cameras on location B (with PoE switch + router).

Location A would be connected to location B via OpenVPN (via routers?)? All camera streams (from location B) would be stored on NVR/BI on location A? Or do I need a separate NVR for each location?

Would it make things easier if I started using Unify hardware/software? There will be the location C soon. Can Unify monitor network devices from remote locations? I assume VPN should solve this issue too if not?

I was considering using Google Nest cameras and save everything to a cloud but decided to go the complicated way before I stumbled upon this forum. I think I have a new hobby :)

Hetticles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How many cameras at Location B? Your limitation will probably be upload bandwidth at the second location.

I have a similar situation. I use Unifi VPN to bridge the two sites.
The cameras at the secondary property utilize too much bandwidth to be able to store *all* of the data at the primary property. I run BI, with a dedicated computer, at both properties. The secondary property's "index"/all-on-one-page-feed is streamed to the primary property and recorded as a camera over the Unifi VPN. The LPR camera at the 2nd property is also streamed at full resolution to the primary.
This gives me the "overall view" of the 2nd property, and a license plate data. This was a good mix for bandwidth and security.

The unifi software/hardware doesn't make it much easier, this is not your silver bullet to solve this problem.

Reaction score
I have similar situation and @Hetticles is right the upload bandwidth becomes a limiting factor. Right now I record low-fps over persistent OpenVPN between the two sites, but will eventually put a low cost Blue Iris machine at each location so I have good fps video available without needing crazy high upload bandwidth. I just want to experiment first to make sure I won't have trouble restarting the computer remotely in the event of power loss etc (so setting auto power up in bios, wake-on-lan, maybe UPS and whatever else to give me the best chance to get it back up and running because site 2 is 1000 miles away).