Constructing a self-build RV (aka Tiny House on wheel - THOW ) & looking for camera system ideas

z_zk_z

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an IP based POE camera security system at home with Blue iris software and looking for ideas for my self-build tiny house on wheel (similar to an RV). I want to use it while driving/parking and also as a security system when parked. Should I go with a similar setup as I got at home or should I look into an RV camera system (which seems to be only good while driving and backing/parking an RV)? Assume I have Internet access and a 500 watt rated power source. Any reply is greatly appreciated...

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll definitely need network access to the camera while driving/parking. Internet would be required if you want to send alerts while you are away. How are you going to view the video from the cab of whatever you are using to tow the tiny house?

z_zk_z

n3wb
Reaction score
You'll definitely need network access to the camera while driving/parking. Internet would be required if you want to send alerts while you are away. How are you going to view the video from the cab of whatever you are using to tow the tiny house?
Well, if I set up a similar system as I got at home, then I would just use my cell phone or a tablet in the truck to view the camera feeds (either over WiFi or Ethernet cables). This setup could also work without an Internet access but I would need Internet access for the alerts, when away from the tiny house.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Do not use an IP camera for making any vehicle navigation decisions (parking or otherwise). Use a proper analog back-up cam for that. That way the delay is negligible and if there is a signal problem, the video will simply disappear, not freeze or become more delayed like it would with an IP cam system.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I would use a turret "eyeball" camera for a Tiny House setup, it would take the abuse better while you are pulling the tiny house to a new location each time