Covering several acres- network guidance

whoknows

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi yall, someone has surely asked this question and I’m sorry I think I’m just asking the wrong question?

My understanding is that I should run cat6e or cat8 200ft to a switch in my shop then another 400ft to a switch to the pole barn where I work.

Now what I’m confused about is a lot of these new gadgets my son is bringing in wants WiFi, I don’t know how to get that without a whole new router and also how does my computer talk to the camera with devices in between the camera and the computer?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, the practical limit for Ethernet is 100m/328 feet.

And you don't want conventional 'Wi-Fi" connecting cameras or sites.

You can, however, install a wireless airMAX - Layer 2, Transparent Bridge using proprietary protocol between 2 sites if there is good LOS (Line Of Site) between them and there is power available at the remote site. The bridge, if implemented as below, is essentially an Ethernet cable in your LAN that passes data but of course, not POE power to the cameras. This will make the remote site part of your LAN as if in the same building.

There are also ways to communicate in a similar manner with the same radios from a point to multiple point, as here :==>> airMAX - Guide to Configure a Point-to-Multipoint (PtMP) ISP-Style Access Point

Below is a schema I've deployed more than a dozen times between a house and an outbuilding several hundred feet away.:

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

Last edited:

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have free line of sight, those Ubiquiti products are very nice. TP-Link has good reviews but I have never used them. Basically they only replace the ethernet cable.
You can add cheap wifi routers at the other locations to give your son his "fix"