dahua cam's capture thieves breaking in vehicles.

Reaction score
Last night my neighborhood fell victim to car break ins. I have the three little pigs captured by my dahua cams. 2231r-zs, 2231 r-zs S2, 5442tm - as LED and 2431t-as, budget cam. The budget cam is looking at the driveway. It needs to have more light. I have all the cam's in color mode. The other cams are true starlight cams which is why they are so much brighter with the available light that i have and the street lights.
Notice the time stamps on the cams. The police where called as these 3 little pigs were breaking into vehicles, but the police came an hour later. Look at the time when the police showed up and when the little pigs walk back past my house. Which means had the police did a search of the area they would have seen these little pigs walking around. I still have more cameras to order and they will be varifocals so that i can zoom into the street more to get better close up face shots. Oh yeah i know my street signs are visible I don't care i have something waiting for whom ever would like to show up to visit. This video was saved at 1080 resolution.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When you call you need to tell them that you are going out there to confront them and they should send paramedics. They will be there in seconds.
Lol great idea, my neighbor said he ran out on them with his shotgun because they were at his house later on down the street and they took off running. He is the one who called the police three times before they finally came as you see in the video an hour later. I will pass on the paramedic message to him.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Makes me thankful I live where I do. OCSO would have been there with 2 cars in minutes. We’ve had plenty of experience.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lol great idea, my neighbor said he ran out on them with his shotgun because they were at his house later on down the street and they took off running. He is the one who called the police three times before they finally came as you see in the video an hour later. I will pass on the paramedic message to him.
another idea is that if you "see a gun", the police will come running. If the trash is caught & they don't have guns, its always your opinion that you thought you saw one.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You can’t be expected to get facial ID out in the intersection, but I’d zoom in the drive a bit more and think about some 5442’s for the other two locations. It would make a big difference.

I like crossing cameras at the driveway. Something else to think about, in two locations yu have the cameras pointing towards floodlights. Kinda backwards. You'd do a lot better to reverse that.

DVR_DriveWest_main_20191113175923_@1.jpg vlcsnap-2019-07-31-21h46m30s127.jpg

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Also see if you can get away with a faster shutter to get faces on people at walking pace. And I saw some footage from one of these that has me wanting one bad: US $378.94 |New model SD49225XA HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Network Camera Support PoE+ Free DHL Shipping on AliExpress Auto-track, auto-zoom, it would be a great way to get face ID on targets at a distance if it locks onto them (assuming you have a safe place to put one of these).

That's exactly what I was about to suggest. The picture also looks quite noisy from that camera. Not sure which model it was, but maybe there's a better option now or maybe it's one to switch to IR. I personally don't like IR as colour is far more effective for identification, but it has it's place and a clear sharp B&W facial image is better than grainy poor colour one. One last consideration, that might also be a good place for a ptz, as the auto zoom and tracking would have got tighter facial shots. So very much with Redfish on this one.

Reaction score
You can’t be expected to get facial ID out in the intersection, but I’d zoom in the drive a bit more and think about some 5442’s for the other two locations. It would make a big difference.

I like crossing cameras at the driveway. Something else to think about, in two locations yu have the cameras pointing towards floodlights. Kinda backwards. You'd do a lot better to reverse that.

View attachment 51164 View attachment 51165
Thanks for the suggestions, they will be implemented as i am building my new setup. The two side cameras are varifocal. (2231 r zs and 2231t zs s2) I will zoom them in when i get two more fixed turrets for the over view. I will be getting the HFW 7442hz and b5442-z4 For LPR to go alongside these cameras for the side. The light can be adjusted more i will make changes to that. The drive cam is the T2431T-as that you did the review on. I need to change the light out there to the same light that is on the side because it puts out better light. And that camera needs more light to run in color. I am just going to turn that camera around and use it for the side of the house there is a door into the garage on that side. And i will place a varifocal there over looking the driveway. Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Also see if you can get away with a faster shutter to get faces on people at walking pace. And I saw some footage from one of these that has me wanting one bad: US $378.94 |New model SD49225XA HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Network Camera Support PoE+ Free DHL Shipping on AliExpress Auto-track, auto-zoom, it would be a great way to get face ID on targets at a distance if it locks onto them (assuming you have a safe place to put one of these).
I will play with the shutter on them and see if i can tweak them a lil more. As for the PTZ i have been looking at that camera as well. My concern is it will be hanging quite low under my eaves and would make for a perfect baseball bat target. I would have to add a Pole to hang it from to get it higher from the ground. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was about to suggest. The picture also looks quite noisy from that camera. Not sure which model it was, but maybe there's a better option now or maybe it's one to switch to IR. I personally don't like IR as colour is far more effective for identification, but it has it's place and a clear sharp B&W facial image is better than grainy poor colour one. One last consideration, that might also be a good place for a ptz, as the auto zoom and tracking would have got tighter facial shots. So very much with Redfish on this one.
Yes i agree with PTZ option. I will be making adjustments from the ideas you guys are giving, as i rebuild my system. Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
I added a new driveway light and the area is much brighter. I will be adding a varifocal camera to this location and this cam will be the overview. I told the misses when she got home tonight and told me it sure is bright out there. I said, i thought she would not notice. She said do you think i'm stupid. After a loooooooong pause and as she pulled her shoe off and began aiming it toward my head i said of course not honey. I just needed more light to see your beauty at night. The other light didn't make you shine like this one. Here is the link to the light.

Cam2.20191124_214614367_1.jpgCam2.20191126_211108513.jpgFS2.20191124_215606246_1.jpgFS2.20191126_212259250.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Typically you are better off with more fixed cams than a PTZ.
1-The PTZ has a high probability it will be looking at the wrong direction when something goes down, unless you are manning it 24/7.
2-Autotracking is still a gimmick, in your situation with all the trees and other visual obstacles, the auto tracking most likely would not work well at all.

Reaction score
I agree looney am not going to depend on it for anything other than watching and zooming on parked vehicles on that side street as they seem to do.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Good light but typical in output power. Given it's split in 2 directions, it works out to 1,800 lumens for each light bank. That's about the equivalent of a 20W standalone floodlight (for each bank), ie. 2x20W, which means if it's truly drawing 36W, it's very energy efficient.

Reaction score
Good light but typical in output power. Given it's split in 2 directions, it works out to 1,800 lumens for each light bank. That's about the equivalent of a 20W standalone floodlight (for each bank), ie. 2x20W, which means if it's truly drawing 36W, it's very energy efficient.
Whatever it is it puts out enough to light up the front of my house and driveway more than the light it replaced. I have ordered another to change out the light in the back of my house.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah not criticising, just saying it's essentially 2x20W LED floods. It's good for others to know if they are wanting a similar level of illumination but either can't get or don't want the exact same light fixture as the one you chose. It also gives you a base line if you want more as the next step up would generally be 2x30W LED flood.

Reaction score
Yeah not criticising, just saying it's essentially 2x20W LED floods. It's good for others to know if they are wanting a similar level of illumination but either can't get or don't want the exact same light fixture as the one you chose. It also gives you a base line if you want more as the next step up would generally be 2x30W LED flood.
Oh no worries i understand and thanks for that information. I also wanted the white light and not the blue color light. But i am happy with this light for my specific location. The misses thinks its to much light but as far as security at night is concerned it is never to much.

Last edited: