dahua cam's capture thieves breaking in vehicles.

Donut17

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
So I apologize if this sounds stupid as I am very new to this and trying to learn. From the video at the end it seems the 3 guys walked right past your house (camera) and practically looked right at your camera. In your posted video their faces look blurry. Is this due to the camera limitation, camera settings, compression associated with posting the video on YouTube or something else? It seems like this would be a slam dunk if their faces were not so blurry.

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I apologize if this sounds stupid as I am very new to this and trying to learn. From the video at the end it seems the 3 guys walked right past your house (camera) and practically looked right at your camera. In your posted video their faces look blurry. Is this due to the camera limitation, camera settings, compression associated with posting the video on YouTube or something else? It seems like this would be a slam dunk if their faces were not so blurry.
It could be all of the above, as i am new to this too. I have been learning as i go and from information on this site. I know if i had been zoomed in closer, it would have been more clear as well as having more light. I am using the camera that they looked into as an overview camera. I will be adding another camera there that i will zoom in to that sidewalk area closer and i will be adding more lighting on that side. I have added a PTZ camera SD492255T-HN in that location that i could use to zoom that sidewalk, but i am using it for license plate capture instead. Even if the faces were more clear the cops would do nothing because it is petty crimes less than 500, and they didn't kill anyone. But it doesn't matter i will get more clear faces next time in the dark and i will give the footage to the cops as i did in this case.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
Welcome, study the Wiki.

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi DJ do I have it right that as the 2431 does not perform as well as 2231 it has caused you to put up extra light, where if it was a 2231 would have been ok?

Would you therefore say buying the budget 2431 was false economy and a purchase you regret?

Reaction score
Hi DJ do I have it right that as the 2431 does not perform as well as 2231 it has caused you to put up extra light, where if it was a 2231 would have been ok?

Would you therefore say buying the budget 2431 was false economy and a purchase you regret?
Nope i do not regret the purchase. It is a great budget camera for my situation. The daytime image is excellent. But what i have learned is at night the best thing is to run more lights and color mode and i stand by that. I had a brighter light in the area of the 2231 cameras so after placing the 2431 it was very clear to me the importance of lighting. I have learned that its best to have two cameras for each location. One for overall view which this camera is great at it also has a microphone (which is great), and i think is a must for all cameras. And a second camera with a varifocal lens that you can zoom in to the area so that you can have facial recognition. All the cameras on here are good for video, but unless you are zoomed in to subjects you are not going to have a good facial picture once you zoom in to said subjects. My next few purchases will be an LPR camera, 3 more 2231 varifocals to have zoomed in areas next to my overview cameras, 2 more 2431 for overview and microphone.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all,
The blurriness is due to the slow shutter. The slow shutter is due to the low light / sensitivity to low light of the camera. You could increase the shutter but it would result in a darker picture, or you could increase the light to maintain the brightness but allow a faster shutter, or you could use a more sensitive camera (if there is one), to achieve the same, or any combination of the above. However, low light can be problematic and it's probably a bit optimistic to believe you can reasonably light the pavement so far away from your home to a level that allows a fast shutter speed. I'd worry more about my property and catching a good shot coming up my garden as they approach the house or cars. On the pavement they may be a nuisance, but they're not your problem. Any attempt to light the pavement that bright could result in complaints from neighbours or from motorists to the police about dazzling lights, especially as you're at a junction. The best solution for your neighbour is to get CCTV and protect himself!

Reaction score
The blurriness is due to the slow shutter. The slow shutter is due to the low light / sensitivity to low light of the camera. You could increase the shutter but it would result in a darker picture, or you could increase the light to maintain the brightness but allow a faster shutter, or you could use a more sensitive camera (if there is one), to achieve the same, or any combination of the above. However, low light can be problematic and it's probably a bit optimistic to believe you can reasonably light the pavement so far away from your home to a level that allows a fast shutter speed. I'd worry more about my property and catching a good shot coming up my garden as they approach the house or cars. On the pavement they may be a nuisance, but they're not your problem. Any attempt to light the pavement that bright could result in complaints from neighbours or from motorists to the police about dazzling lights, especially as you're at a junction. The best solution for your neighbour is to get CCTV and protect himself!
All valid points. My neighbor's welcome more light, they are not at all bothered. I will get better night shots with zoomed in cameras, right now all the cameras are in over view. I will be getting more varifocals so that i can zoom into my sidewalk areas. But i am just glad the cameras are a deterrent to any activity on my property. My neighbor is getting cameras in the future. But we still keep an eye out for each other over here.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Zoomed in cameras will get you tighter shots and better facial recognition for anyone in the shot, but generally the more zoomed in you are with a lens, the less light the lens allows in, so you'll potentially worsen the blur. Best case scenario is you have a tighter shot with the same blur you have now.