Dahua NVR and DMSS help needed

wezal15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie here. I've purchased a NVR5432-EI-32 through Andy. Love the gear, have it preconfigured and my first 2 cameras setup. Now having trouble with DMSS.

I've read through numerous posts (wiki, VPN primer, how to not get hacked, Open VPN setup, etc.) to research how to properly setup for remote access while being secure. NIC 1 for NVR is IP 169.254.10.100, cameras on same scheme on separate POE network switch with no internet access. Pulled in no problem with the recommended settings on camera and NVR in place. NIC 2 IP 192.168.50.200 goes to my ASUS Zen Wifi AX router. uPnP disabled, P2P disabled, ports closed, OpenVPN setup and tested with phone, DDNS in place through NO-IP, etc.

I've successfully setup the DMSS app using the NIC 2 ip address of 192.168.50.200. I can see the NVR and 2 cameras on my WIFI no problem. When I turn WIFI off and run Open VPN, I get nothing. Login error.

What am I missing here? Should I have used the DDNS instead of the IP for NIC 2? I've tried my work phone on a different carrier, faster LTE and same problem when it comes to being off WIFI.

Any help is much appreciated. Love that I've joined the forums and see a lot of great information and support being shared.

DMSS on WIFI, OpenVPN off
IMG_9500.PNG

DMSS on cellular, OpenVPN on
IMG_9501.PNG

DMSS configuration
IMG_9502.PNG

Attachments

wezal15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some additional information:

Setup Wireguard on the router and phone. Can hit devices on my network, though not the NVR via webpage or DMSS when on cellular. OpenVPN has the same results.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the rest of your non camera LAN also in the 192.168.50.x scheme?

wezal15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve got it blocked at the device. It’s the same as setting a parental control from what I’ve seen in the router. Whether it’s blocked or not in the router settings, I have the same results. App and browser access work on wifi or Ethernet cable, neither work when on cellular with VPN connection. IMG_9508.jpg

I’ve seen “set firewall rules” a lot on these forums and this seemed to be the way to do it on my router. Block at the NVR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wezal15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still seeking assistance/input on this issue.

The problem has to be on the NVR side of the configuration. My VPN connections to my LAN are operational. Have even tried ASUS’s Instant Guard in addition to OpenVPN and Wireguard. Not hitting the Dahua NVR when on VPN via IP address in browser, tells me the NVR is where my problem is and not DMSS. I just don’t know where exactly to check/modify.

wezal15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Further testing and if I enable P2P on the NVR, I can connect with DMSS both on WIFI and cellular. Still struggling to find where my problem is in connecting over VPN when off my WIFI and on cellular. Toggled P2P back to disabled.

In NVR network settings: WIFI disabled, 3G/4G disabled, PPPoE disbled, DDNs disabled, UPnP disabled, Email Disabled, SNMP disabled, Multicast disable, Alarm Center disabled, Register disabled, P2P disabled.

On Asus router: I've setup both OpenVPN and Wireguard with certificates on apps. They both connect me to home network and I can hit other web logins (Asus login, Hubitat, Honeywell Intrusion) though not the Dahua NVR. No ports are open. Followed setup via Randy's guide.

NVR NIC 2 is on 192.168.50.200 with gateway of 192.168.50.1 on my LAN. Cameras are on NIC 1 with 169.254.10.x scheme. All with gateway of 169.254.10.254

What else can I check. I feel like something very simple is missing, I'm just at a loss as to what that is. I've got connectivity locally on network. Really need to get VPN working for remote view. Hoping someone with a working setup using dual NIC Dahua NVR can help me figure this out.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not a networking guy and no experience with dual NICs but try enabling Multicast and reboot NVR …. Seems I read something about that but I’ve slept since then so….ymmv

wezal15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bigredfish that was it. I just connected with both OpenVPN and Wireguard from cellular connection. I can also hit the NVP webpage now when on VPN. I didn't change anything on the IP address in Multicast once enabled. Should I do anything there or roll with this?

Attachments

wezal15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are you even trying to do ?

Why all this 2 nic setup on NVR ?
Why openvpn and wireguard ?
Installing cameras and looking to view safely/securely when not on premises with DMSS.

2 NICs: 1 for camera network, different IP scheme on POE switch off of router, the other is the NVR to go on router. Don't have vLAN capabilities so physically separating the cameras from the router/WAN.

OpenVPN and Wiregaurd for VPN access into the NVR. I'll stick with one but for testing purposes I set up both.

Last edited:

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey can I please pop into this thread? I’ve for some time had seamless experiences with Open VPN and remote access to my NVR via DMSS app.
This has all stopped working. I’ve not messed with anything. It’s been a few weeks since I needed to use it, so don’t know how long it’s been stuffed!
So when I try to turn on the VPN under “settings” on iPhone or iPad, it just says, “VPN connecting...” and does nothing.
Same goes for my iPad.
I can access the NVR at home and it seems to be working fine.
I have done a bit of Googling (I am FAR from an expert), but has there been an issue with more recent Apple updates?
Any help would be great. I don’t want to lose all my various settings, as I can’t really remember how I did everything.

wezal15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey can I please pop into this thread? I’ve for some time had seamless experiences with Open VPN and remote access to my NVR via DMSS app.
This has all stopped working. I’ve not messed with anything. It’s been a few weeks since I needed to use it, so don’t know how long it’s been stuffed!
So when I try to turn on the VPN under “settings” on iPhone or iPad, it just says, “VPN connecting...” and does nothing.
Same goes for my iPad.
I can access the NVR at home and it seems to be working fine.
I have done a bit of Googling (I am FAR from an expert), but has there been an issue with more recent Apple updates?
Any help would be great. I don’t want to lose all my various settings, as I can’t really remember how I did everything.
Have you tried to setup a new config file on OpenVPN? Export it from your router and send to email. Open email on device and pull into the app.

Helpful link if you don’t remember this from your initial setup.

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score