Dahua POE NVR and cameras over wireless bridge

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am looking for a simple low cost solution to connect a Dahua NVR w/ POE ports to one or two cameras located a couple of hundred feet away. I was using an abandoned coax with ethernet over coax adapters and it worked for a long time. But it became intermittent and since no longer works over the coax. I want to use a wireless bridge to get the cameras back online. And before anyone ask, I have verified the camera to work when plugged directly into the NVR.

I am not familiar with networking but assuming that if I use a point to point wireless bridge, that I could plug in the master to one of the POE ports on the NVR and at the remote end could plug into the bridge and operate one camera? I need for the remote end to support POE to the camera. If not, does that mean I would need to add a POE injector?

And what if I wanted to view multiple cameras over the bridge? I don't know what my NVR is capable of, it's probably pretty old, but would I have to add a POE switch to each end of the bridge?

I am probably OK with connecting to just one camera depending on how complicated (and stressful) it would be for me to connect to more than one.

So if just one camera, what recommendations do any of you have to connect one port on the NVR to master bridge and one camera to the remote using POE for the camera? I have power available for the bridges themselves.

And if I want multiple cameras, will I need POE switches on both ends or does that depend on the capability of my NVR?

Alternately, I do have WIFI at the gate now but it's on a separate network. I don't know if there is a way for my NVR to make use of the separate WIFI network that would not be too complicated?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that will work. Depending on what you purchase would dictate how the camera is powered.

You don't want to use your home wifi for a camera. Even more so at distance. These cameras do not buffer like NetFlix, so you will lose signal a lot and maybe even slow your entire internet.

And if you decide you want multiple cameras at the end of the bridge, then you would connect the adapter on the end closest to the NVR into the WAN/LAN of the NVR and not one of the camera NVR ports. So you would probably need a switch at the NVR to connect the bridge, your internet, and the NVR all into the NVR WAN/LAN port.

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. On the NVR end of the wireless bridge where it's plugged into the LAN port, do I have to configure that port to find the cameras or would it do that automatically?

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Consider that a Point to Point Layer 2 Transparent Bridge is essentially a CAT-5e cable that carries data but not POE.

View attachment 177703
A few questions,.. 1>can the switch be unmanaged? 2> If only connecting one camera, can I use a poe switch on the remote end instead of an injector and connect to a regular poe port at the NVR?, or if a switch is used does the NVR end of the link have to be connected to a lan port?

I understand if one camera I could use an injector at the remote instead of a switch, just thinking the cost are close and the switch would allow for further expansion. At the same time, I don't want it to be too technical on the network side.

Thanks,

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A few questions,.. 1>can the switch be unmanaged? 2> If only connecting one camera, can I use a poe switch on the remote end instead of an injector and connect to a regular poe port at the NVR?, or if a switch is used does the NVR end of the link have to be connected to a lan port?

I understand if one camera I could use an injector at the remote instead of a switch, just thinking the cost are close and the switch would allow for further expansion. At the same time, I don't want it to be too technical on the network side.

Thanks,
The switch can be managed or unmanaged.
Yes, you can use either a POE switch or POE injector at the remote end.
At the NVR end you'd connect the NVR's WAN/LAN to the same switch as the AP/bridge is connected.

I would assign unique static IP's to NVR's WAN/LAN, both radios and the cameras, all in the same subnet and outside of any connected router's DHCP pool (also in same subnet).

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For now, I will just have a single camera. So I ordered the bridge pairs and an injector. I will connect the master to one of the camera ports on the NVR. (unless I'm missing something?) If I ever add any additional cameras, I will use a poe switch and get rid of the injector. Let me know if I am mistaken.

Pic of what was ordered attachedScreenshot 2023-11-13 4.01.58 PM.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The POE ports on a POE NVR usually are usually handled by a private server which places them on private subnet to keep them off the Internet and are NOT in the same subnet as the NVR's WAN/LAN port.

At the NVR end you'd connect the NVR's WAN/LAN to the same switch as the AP/bridge (you termed "master") is connected.

I would assign unique static IP's to NVR's WAN/LAN, both radios and the cameras, all in the same subnet and outside of any connected router's DHCP pool (also in same subnet).

And Ubiquiti Nanostations and Locos use a passive 24VDC POE injector that is not 802.3af/at compatible, as the POE cams and the 30W Cudy POE injector are.

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The POE ports on a POE NVR usually are usually handled by a private server which places them on private subnet to keep them off the Internet and are NOT in the same subnet as the NVR's WAN/LAN port.

At the NVR end you'd connect the NVR's WAN/LAN to the same switch as the AP/bridge (you termed "master") is connected.

And Ubiquiti Nanostations and Locos use a passive 24VDC POE injector that is not 802.3af/at compatible, as the POE cams and the 30W Cudy POE injector are.
Are you saying the injector I ordered is not compatible? And I can't just connect one of the nanostations to a single camera port? I have 8 POE and 8 regular I believe.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have purchased quite a few of the Loco's in the past and bought the kits that included the 24v injectors but see they are hard to find anymore. In my searching I did find that Bhphoto does still have a deal on the Litebeam M5 units (which are great aslo) for $49. each and they still include the "25 V / 0.2 A PoE Adapter"
I am only posting because I think it is a great deal.

Last edited:

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I looked again and think the power injectors come with what I ordered so I cancelled the other one. The lightbeams are a bit cheaper than what I paid for the nano's but if I can get what I ordered working, I will be satisfied. I'm hoping I can keep the master the house but will see what kind of signal I get. It's about 300ft or less distance.