Dahua SD59430U-HNI Pole Installation - Long

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now that I've had our new camera in place for a few weeks, I am posting my installation process. In a previous post, I had asked about installing the camera on a pole I installed our weather station. I quickly learned from others that the new camera is too heavy to enjoy a sway "free" install. So I decided to mount a stronger separate pole to the side of our shed to support the camera. I used a program called Sketch-Up to draft up a quick design (I used an existing building drawing to save time):

pole mount.JPG

I wanted to use a 6x6 attached to the side to extend the pole mount beyond the eave. I braced inside the building using 2x4's:

IMG_20161023_190819.jpg IMG_20161023_233411.jpg

I drilled holes in the center stud and drove 10" lag bolts through to the 6x6 from the inside:

IMG_20161024_170417.jpg IMG_20161024_170526_hdr.jpg

Here is a test fit of the pole:

IMG_20161024_181526_hdr.jpg

I used threaded rod and exhaust brackets to secure the pole to the 6x6:

IMG_20161025_165438.jpg

Test fit:

IMG_20161029_131425_hdr.jpg

With the rough mounting figured out, I moved on to running the wiring inside the pole, and mounting the pole bracket, box, and camera.

IMG_20161030_123207.jpg IMG_20161030_144209_hdr.jpg IMG_20161030_152006_hdr.jpg

I terminated all the camera wires with insulated blade connectors, and used a "utility syringe" to apply dielectric grease to all the connectors:

IMG_20161030_152006_hdr.jpg IMG_20161030_152339.jpg

I wrapped the bundles of connectors with rubber tape to protect them from moisture, and to give some strain relief to the thin gauge wires. Then I buttoned it all up inside the wiring box, and attached the camera:

IMG_20161030_163636.jpg IMG_20161030_165419_hdr.jpg IMG_20161030_174453_hdr.jpg

I was able to do all this tedious work in the back of my truck bed instead of up on a ladder (note the Saran Holiday Wrap lens protection:)

IMG_20161030_174743_hdr.jpg

I lifted the pole up into place and temporarily steadied it with cable wraps. I painted the threaded rod and exaust brackets, and used short lengths of heater hose to wrap the rod where it contacted the pole:

IMG_20161030_181958_hdr.jpg IMG_20161103_152331_hdr.jpg

Picture of installed camera from roof:

IMG_20161031_153427_hdr.jpg

Continued in next post...

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Continued from previous...

Then, I completed the installation of the ground rod, conductor wires, ground bonding wire, and ethernet surge protector:

IMG_20161103_164930.jpg IMG_20161103_173313.jpg IMG_20161103_173357.jpg IMG_20161103_173433.jpg IMG_20161103_175108.jpg IMG_20161103_180244.jpg IMG_20161103_183717.jpg IMG_20161103_184708.jpg IMG_20161103_194706.jpg

The installation was a buttload of preparation and work, especially since this is at our "getaway" location in the mountains. Having to remember every tool and part I was going to need was a challenge. I filled up the bed and back seat of my truck with all the stuff I needed:

IMG_20161023_175143_hdr.jpg

It was a very worthwhile project, and I appreciate the advice everyone gave. So, as a conclusion, here are before and after pictures taken from the camera we were replacing with the new Dahua. The old camera has been in place for years and the plastic lens has deteriorated:

IMG_20161102_180416.png IMG_20161102_180133.png

Thanks for watching!

David

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Great Post, love to see peoples work. I have done a few like that but not for cams but for wireless Cisco networks. I do have a question, would it have been possible to sink the pole into the ground or are you on solid rock? I was looking at your grounding setup and punching a grounding rod into the earth does not look like a option there. I see your shed is on blocks so I assume a pole into the ground might cause issues if the building moves do to frost movements. Very nice.

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. A better man could have easily dug a hole and fixed the pole in cement. I'm lazy and dumb really...lazy because I hate using a post hole digger, and dumb because I probably spent 10 times the effort doing it the way I did. The ground is really not bad at all. North Carolina doesnt really have a frost heaving climate, but then, I hate digging, so maybe I just don't pay attention. I drove the 8' ground rod in with a 5 lb and then an 8 lb hammer. It took me maybe 20-25 minutes, and two beers. I spent A LOT more time watching YouTube videos on the best way to drive a ground rod.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
great job; thanks for sharing.. looks like it should last the long haul.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Yea, The good thing is you could cut the ground load the cabin on a trailer and take it all with you. I love the detail.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Sweet install and good attention to detail. I bet Roxy will appreciate the improved view from the new camera. I'm assuming there IS a Roxy rather than that just being the historical name of the ridge.

I understand the additional challenges of not having your main tool stash where you're working. I sometimes wish I had a full-sized service van as my personal vehicle.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks good. I have never seen network cables/ends terminated the way you did it, is that what the directions instructed you to do? I have only done a handful of external IP camera installs and I basically just crimped the rj-45 connector onto the catX cable and coiled it inside a weatherproof junction box connected to pipe that goes all the way back to the rack.

I have seen installers hook up external PTZ cameras and the wiring is also basic, but some external housings give you specific weatherproof parts that you use over the rj-45 cable. I know not all cameras/components are install the same way and I know vendors have their own specifics methods (or can have....) which is why I ask the question. Regardless, your install looks good. Did you ever consider PVC instead of metal conduit?

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wish these PTZ now a days were more discrete i mean the giant bubble where everyone looking at the camera can see it moving and basically tell where its looking is getting out of control IMO. I wish knew where to get a good ptz that the world can't see what exactly its watching i guess thats i settle for what i have from LTS.

Cool install tho

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can hardly tell what way the black face ptz's are pointing from any distance.. its the same profile regardless what way its facing.. with 100mm+ optics your not really putting these things up close and personal typically.

and in the end it dont really matter much, having operated alot of PTZ's i can tell you its a rare event when someone looks right into one.. most go entirely unnoticed because cameras are just background noise for the vast majority.. dont put that much weight on discreteness, its not worth much.

domes outdoors in environments like this will degrade and fog up from UV Exposure; all clear plastics exposed to direct sunlight will eventually look like old foggy headlamps given enough time..

Last edited:

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you can hardly tell what way the black face ptz's are pointing from any distance.. its the same profile regardless what way its facing.. with 100mm+ optics your not really putting these things up close and personal typically.

and in the end it dont really matter much, having operated alot of PTZ's i can tell you its a rare event when someone looks right into one.. most go entirely unnoticed because cameras are just background noise for the vast majority.. dont put that much weight on discreteness, its not worth much.

domes outdoors in environments like this will degrade and fog up from UV Exposure; all clear plastics will eventually look like old foggy headlamps given enough time..
I have a lts dome up now and haven't seen any issues with the lens on it and its been beaten up pretty good in the chicago summers and winters. Still the new cameras are just frigging huge like way out like huge. Pretty look at a house and thats the first thing they notice

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a lts dome up now and haven't seen any issues with the lens on it and its been beaten up pretty good in the chicago summers and winters. Still the new cameras are just frigging huge like way out like huge. Pretty look at a house and thats the first thing they notice
I bet if they made them smaller, the price would be even more than it is, now. Technology will get better, cameras will get smaller, but there will always be a cat/mouse game with technology. The brains are usually small, it's all the weatherproof/connectors/cabling/etc that tends to take up a lot of space requiring the housing to be bigger than normal.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bet if they made them smaller, the price would be even more than it is, now. Technology will get better, cameras will get smaller, but there will always be a cat/mouse game with technology. The brains are usually small, it's all the weatherproof/connectors/cabling/etc that tends to take up a lot of space requiring the housing to be bigger than normal.
While id want to agree coax PTZ were tiny back in the day compared to these things today and they even had heater inside seems in this instance tech is going backwards

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While id want to agree coax PTZ were tiny back in the day compared to these things today and they even had heater inside seems in this instance tech is going backwards
Coax image/options vs IP image/options are a huge difference. Also, different manufacturers do things differently/get parts from different places. Axis makes a huge PTZ, but it also has about 5-6 cameras inside the housing and you can add on additional components/housings/etc. We might agree to disagree on this one. Regardless, my vote is for seeing smaller PTZs.

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks good. I have never seen network cables/ends terminated the way you did it
Regardless, your install looks good. Did you ever consider PVC instead of metal conduit?
The connectors are for the ac power, ground, alarm inputs/outputs, and audio in/out. I do have the ethernet connected normally.

I needed to use the steel pole for strength, and resistance to sway. It can get pretty windy there.

Thank you for your comments!
David

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sweet install and good attention to detail. I bet Roxy will appreciate the improved view from the new camera. I'm assuming there IS a Roxy rather than that just being the historical name of the ridge.
Thank you!

Roxy is our 13 yr old pomeranian. She loves it up there in the mountains. She hasn't said much about my epic install though. :(

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The connectors are for the ac power, ground, alarm inputs/outputs, and audio in/out. I do have the ethernet connected normally.

I needed to use the steel pole for strength, and resistance to sway. It can get pretty windy there.

David
Gotcha, that makes sense.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score

David
Nice job David. I started mounting our ptzs directly to the 1 1/2" pipe and using it to hide the connections. I put a 90 on the upright pipe and extend another section of threaded pipe out about 3ft. This gives us a little more view when looking back at the pole.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Getting ready to mount my first PTZ, Just curious, did you consider using a tripod on the roof instead of the side install? And if so, why did you decide against it?
Something similar to this is what I'm referring to.