Dahua Setup for home - Help opinions

smurf786

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at getting the following setup for my home:

NVR: - Dahua 4k NVR NVR4104HS-4KS2 4CH & NVR4108HS-4KS2 8CH & NVR4116HS-4KS2 16ch without POE Network Video Recorder

I already have a 24 port POE switch before anyone says why i am not getting the POE model NVR.

Cameras:- Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A metal shell 6MP Built-in MIC POE IR 50m IP67 IK10 ip camera replace IPC-HDW4431C-A CCTV camera

Currently they are on the 11.11 offer on aliexpress.

I'm not sure on the focus lens i would need so was thinking i may go for these cameras instead

Dahua IPC-HDBW4631R-ZS IP Camera 2.7mm ~13.5mm varifocal motorized lens 6MP IR50M with sd Card slot POE network camera

I know the varifocal doesn't have MIC on them which i do like about the first ones also does the first cameras do ivs?

I have attached the prices of the cameras too.

Thank you for all your help...

Attachments

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome.

These are Chinese region cameras with hacked firmware that can't be upgraded. DO NOT BUY unless you understand the risks.
Code:
please don't upgrade the camera firmware version!
if you upgrade the camera firmware version, the camera will become Chinese language firmware!
Don't chase Megapixels. Click on the Wiki link and read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes.
@EMPIRETECANDY aka Andy can hook you up with international cameras, simple shipping, and a much better experience.

Grn1z

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would suggest reading around the forum posts and see what others have purchased. Most members here are concerned about performance at night.
Don't be tempted to buy because of a sale price for sure.
Read the cliff notes, the re-read them. You'll be more informed before buying. That said the 5442tm-as and 5231r-ze seem to be the most popular night performers I have seen.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Invest your time before your money. Read and a lot !

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
-----------------------------
Do not buy Chinese hacked junk. Any money you think you are saving will be spent trying to get it to work and time spent trying to close security holes.
-----------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cost difference to go from 4 to 8 to 16 channels on the NVR is negligible, so buy one with more channels than you think you need. I recently bought a NVR4116-4KS2 and it's fine, but keep in mind the lower end models like that can only handle 80Mbps of total bandwidth coming in to them. I had 4 cameras (2x2MP and 2x4MP) connected and I was using about 22Mbps bandwidth, but I never adjusted the bitrate on the cameras much beyond the defaults, I think it's generally recommended to increase the bitrate higher.

I have a NVR5216-4KS2 coming tomorrow which supports 320Mbps bandwidth and Andy pointed out it has a lot more functions and supports the 4.0 version software. Apparently the lesser models do not support the upcoming 4.0 firmware. I haven't received it yet, so I can't really elaborate on how much better it is than the NVR4116 yet. I moved the NVR4116 to a different location where my main concern is just having a 24/7 recording archived in case of emergency, I'm not super concerned about bells and whistles there. The cost of the NVR5216 is slightly more than double the cost of the NVR4116 which is unfortunate but it sounds like it will be much more future-proof.

I've seen more mention of Hikvision cameras lately, beware that connecting them to a Dahua NVR it will only record the video stream and won't support IVS or whatever Hikvision calls it. It's probably in your best interest to stick with the same brand cameras and NVR whichever route you go.

Another note about the Chinese market hacked models, they won't work with newer versions of the NVR firmware, Dahua put in place a way to detect and block them from being used. Also they are typically a lower build quality than the international versions that Andy sells.