DBC1 Doorbell not working at night (red light)

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a specific problem with a DBC1 doorbell which occurs only at night.

The doorbell is within 20cm of wireless AP point and receives a strong signal. The doorbell is wired directly via a bell transformer from the consumer unit in the house. There is no mechanical chime - an EZVIZ wireless chime is used. During the day there are no network drop outs or issues with the doorbell - the blue light showing normal functionality is constant. However, at night, the light is red showing the doorbell is not functioning. Checking the status of the camera shows the camera to be offline.

My deduction is either the DBC1 is faulty or there is an insufficient current supply. The infra-red LEDs which are used at night will consume a higher current and the bell transformer may not be providing enough current.

The bell transformer is rated at 8VA and at 12V will provide 0.67A and at 24V will provide 0.33A. Is this enough? There are no current requirements specified in the manual. The EZVIZ transformer listed for the DBC ( (变压器-Datasheet (ezvizlife.com)) states : Rated Power Output 8V: 10VA; 12V: 20VA; 24V: 30VA

It is normal to specify one VA rating for a transformer, but the EZVIZ states 3 different values.

Anyone seen a similar problem before? It's definitely related to the IR as if I turn on the outside security lights to the house at night the doorbell starts working again as it's not in IR mode.

Note that I've reset the doorbell back to factory settings a number of times / uninstalled / installed the app and followed the configuration process several times. The doorbell is using the latest EZVIZ software.

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Certainly sounds to me like your transformer isn't putting out enough power to run it with infrared.

Either leave outside lights on all night or swap out the transformer for a more powerful one.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
I'd replace the doorbell transformer with a higher VA rating such as 12V/20VA.
Match the voltage you need but a slightly higher VA rating above the minimum stated is OK too because the DBC1 will only draw what it needs.
I say this in case you find a 12V/24 or 25VA and if it fits physically and the price and delivery is right then go for it.