Dell 7040 SFF vs Mini Tower for BI Server

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I like dell, I happen to have the correct Windows 10 Pro original CD so I'm leaning towards Dell. I looked at the HP EliteDesk on ebay too, but the selection didn't seem to meet my need for HP.

Anyway, looks like the SFF can hold more RAM, and if i'm reading it correctly, drive space looks to be the same with less potential power usage with the SFF too. Why or why not on each one?

SFF

MT

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The manuals are wrong. They'll both take the same ram capacity, 4 slots. The Mini Tower manual was probably written before a firmware update allowed 16gb sticks. Nobody is going to need 4x 16gb sticks in a BI server anyways.

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ignoring things like their physical size/WAF:

They both utilize the Q170 chip set so I'd expect the memory capacity to be same (they both have four slots according to the links provided), even if only "unofficially." The difference in the listed spec is more likely due to what was supported/shipping when the respective manuals were printed.

As for power, the SFF has a power supply with a smaller capacity, but configured similarly and with the same workload there won't be much difference in the amount of power either machine actually draws from the wall.

According to the linked documents, the MT has an extra SATA port on the motherboard if you wanted to try to squeeze an extra SATA device in there. The MT has an extra PCIe slot, and a PCI slot; It'll accept full height cards while the SFF can only use half height cards.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Guys. So if one were cheaper than the other, go with the cheapest. Don't plan on using the PCI slots and i'll dump the cd drive for SSD and a spinner.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh my gosh I miss the simplicity of Windows 7 install.

So I found a Mini Tower on ebay Dell Optiplex 7040 i7-6700, 16MB RAM, 256GB HD SSD. Perfect for needs for my new BI Build. The PC still has 1 year of warranty left, but no OS for $335 shipped.

Installed the Win 10 Pro twice thinking the first time I did it wrong because it would not do updates. The build for my Dell disc is from 2015 and it did install fine and activate, just not update. So I went to Dell site to download there tool. Downloaded that to USB and of course it failed. Finally went to Microsoft site and I'm using their update assistant that seems to be working and updated fine. Also updates are working!

What's crazy is it is almost dumb to not buy these machines that have the OS embedded in the BIOS. I can't buy a very fast machine for $135 (Subtract the $200 for MS Pro)!

I was at the mall this weekend and asked the guys at the MS store about how to transfer the license into my name? He said the license is married to the machine and is part of it. If you own the machine, you own the license.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh my gosh I miss the simplicity of Windows 7 install.

So I found a Mini Tower on ebay Dell Optiplex 7040 i7-6700, 16MB RAM, 256GB HD SSD. Perfect for needs for my new BI Build. The PC still has 1 year of warranty left, but no OS for $335 shipped.

Installed the Win 10 Pro twice thinking the first time I did it wrong because it would not do updates. The build for my Dell disc is from 2015 and it did install fine and activate, just not update. So I went to Dell site to download there tool. Downloaded that to USB and of course it failed. Finally went to Microsoft site and I'm using their update assistant that seems to be working and updated fine. Also updates are working!

What's crazy is it is almost dumb to not buy these machines that have the OS embedded in the BIOS. I can't buy a very fast machine for $135 (Subtract the $200 for MS Pro)!

I was at the mall this weekend and asked the guys at the MS store about how to transfer the license into my name? He said the license is married to the machine and is part of it. If you own the machine, you own the license.
Don't use the Dell disc to install Windows 10. Only use Microsoft Media Creation tool.