Dell Form Factor Sizes

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link that clearly defines the Dell Form Factors? What is the smallest form factor that will hold an SDD and a 3.5” drive? I cannot tell of the Small Form Factor will accommodate both.

Thanks for your help.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @Optimus Prime

You'd need to look closer at the Dell specs.

For optiplex models - the smallest most of us like is the SFF. The micro is too small - and often with a laptop CPU

gokiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an Optiplex 9020 SFF with 2 x SSD drives as my "normal" use computer and an Optiplex 7010 as my NVR running BI again its an SFF but I have 4TB IBM SAS full size drive , 256GB SSD and SAS Controller.
The 7010 is 14 inches wide by 16 inches deep by 4 inches tall

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link that clearly defines the Dell Form Factors? What is the smallest form factor that will hold an SDD and a 3.5” drive? I cannot tell of the Small Form Factor will accommodate both.

Thanks for your help.
A Dell SFF chassis with a M2 connector will take a SSD in the M2 form factor, a 3.5" drive, and if you exclude the slimline optical drive from its spot, you can patch in a 2.5" drive there with some Velcro or whatever.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I wrote dell about this before I purchased. They said the 3.5" HDD would fit along side the 2.5" SSD. Any thoughts where this would go? See attached.

My wife needs the optical drive, so I'd hate to take it away from her. Or is this the instance where I need to forgo the optical drive and velcro the SSD in place?

How do you affix the 3.5" Hard drive? There are no mounting holes after removing the blue cage for the 2.5" SSD.

IMG_3380.JPG

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, I wrote dell about this before I purchased. They said the 3.5" HDD would fit along side the 2.5" SSD. Any thoughts where this would go? See attached.

My wife needs the optical drive, so I'd hate to take it away from her. Or is this the instance where I need to forgo the optical drive and velcro the SSD in place?

How do you affix the 3.5" Hard drive? There are no mounting holes after removing the blue cage for the 2.5" SSD.

View attachment 52094
You'll just need a different version of the blue plastic tray which takes 3.5" drives. It won't look elegant, but there's room between the 3.5" drive and the chassis cover for your 2.5" SSD to simply sit between them, either loose or you can stick it down with some double-sided tape, etc. You'll also need a SATA power splitter like this one: Coboc Model SC-PWYC-02MT 8" 15-pin SATA Power Male to 2 x Female Splitter Cable, with one SATA Power Male to Female Gender Changers - Newegg.com I have a Dell SFF system in my fleet with precisely that setup.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@mech Thanks for the info and your help.
  • Are you basically saying to adhere the SSD to the 3.5" drive?
  • Do you happen have a link handy to the appropriate blue tray? I'll ask Dell support to send it to me for free in lieu of taking back the system.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm scrounging for a valid link to the correct tray. It looks visually similar to the one that fits OptiPlex 3010s and larger 390s but they don't interchange. There is an Amazon link with the correct picture here, but the one-star review says they got the tray you already have, not the one pictured/described: Amazon.com: Foxconn Replacement 3.5" HDD Caddy for Dell Optiplex 3040 5040 7040 SFF Desktop IB5146200-600 C2950-BL6025: Computers & Accessories

This one looks right, however: Dell OptiPlex 3040 5050 7050 SFF 3.5 Caddy HDD T3420 H8V8K 1B5146200-600 c-3598 - Newegg.com If you're not in a hurry, I'll try to do a reality check on a 5040 tomorrow which has a 3.5" drive in it, and scrutinize its tab placement.

And yeah, you could just stick the SSD to the HDD, or let it just lay next to the HDD. It won't do any harm to it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
SSDs are so light and small you could velcro it to the side of the power supply unit. Main problem I've found with Dell units is the lack of power connectors, they only seem to have connectors for whatever they have installed. I have an OptiPlex 3020 which my son uses and I had to modify the power cable connectors on it to add an extra SATA power connector so that I could power the SSD and 3.5" hard disk.

Here’s a pic of what I did, did remove the dvd drive. The connector to the left is the dvd drive power, the other circle is where I've grafted another SATA power connector to the existing which then powers the SSD.

IMG_E7238.JPG

Last edited:

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My wife test drove AutoCad on it. It worked fine for her purposes, so it won’t be a complete loss. If I can find the HDD cage and it not cost too much, we’ll call it a win.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dell is sending me a 3.5" HDD caddy, I have a power splitter and enough ports, and a collection of various sticky adhesives from which to choose. Seems like we are going to be good to go...

chepalle!

n3wb
Reaction score
SSDs are so light and small you could velcro it to the side of the power supply unit. Main problem I've found with Dell units is the lack of power connectors, they only seem to have connectors for whatever they have installed. I have an OptiPlex 3020 which my son uses and I had to modify the power cable connectors on it to add an extra SATA power connector so that I could power the SSD and 3.5" hard disk.

Here’s a pic of what I did, did remove the dvd drive. The connector to the left is the dvd drive power, the other circle is where I've grafted another SATA power connector to the existing which then powers the SSD.

View attachment 52118
Hi, which adapter did you buy to connect the DVD power cable to the SSD? Did you have to solder the connections?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi, which adapter did you buy to connect the DVD power cable to the SSD? Did you have to solder the connections?
I actually spliced a sata power connector to the existing wiring, the heat shrink on the wires is where the additional connector was spliced and wired in.

chepalle!

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.