Difficulty Configuring VPN on ASUS Router - Need Guidance

Reaction score
I've encountered while trying to set up a VPN on my ASUS router. I've followed the instructions provided by ASUS which is a modified app offer hidden features and unimaginable customizations to every android user to improves the user privacy, but I seem to be running into some issues. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
What are the issues? Setting up a VPN for the first time can be very confusing. At least it was for me.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Consider sharing router model, and the link to the instructions you were following

Reaction score
It's been a few years, but I previously had VPN working well on an Asus RT-AC86U router. After setting up the same keys for the same devices with a newer model and newer firmware, it stopped working. Yes, it's entirely possible to be an Asus problem. It's not entirely likely, but it's possible.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OpenVPN is simple, but we make it way more difficult than it needs to be lol.

I was there too once with OpenVPN...tried to do all this research to find directions and got to the point I said screw it and just enabled it and kinda of followed what it was asking and it worked.

Just go to OpenVPN and enable it and see what it says - probably asks you to create a user/PW, DDNS name, encryption method, and create certificate. Then copy and paste that certificate on your mobile device. Then install the OpenVPN app and select the certificate and then connect and you are on your home network.

It really is simpler than our minds make it out to be.

A big mistake people make is installing OpenVPN on their computer and trying to host it there, yet they are trying to follow the steps on enabling it on a router and screw it all up. Only install it on the computer to host if your router does not have it built-in.

This is for an Asus router, but the steps are kinda the same.

OpenVPN on a Asus router

Or go with ZeroTier

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you think?

Post #1 appeared in the moderator review queue, and is fairly typical of the automated bot posts we see quite a lot of, ie just joined, dropped one message, not seen since.
But I thought I'd let it ride instead of zapping it as the question would likely provide answers others might find useful.
Which it has.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If so they are getting good?

But at the same time, does allowing the post and responses help it learn and then become even less detectable?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But at the same time, does allowing the post and responses help it learn and then become even less detectable?
To be honest, I don't know.
It would have to re-visit to see responses, unless it's clever enough to see them anonymously.
But I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens going forward.