Dome camera installation orientations - vertical or horizontal better?

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I see some people using L-brackets (see below) to mount their dome cams so the dome is pointing to the ground rather than just mounting it to the wall with the dome facing outwards and adjusting the camera downwards. For quality of pictures is it better to use a L-bracket and mount it facing downwards? What about for a PTZ dome too? Thanks for any advice.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Whether you can do that depends on the dome having either 2 or 3 axis adjustment such that you can still point the sensor in the needed direction.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gotcha. On my one PTZ dome thats mounted on the garage wall vertically (pointing outwards). When I pan it to either side of the view, I have to flip the image 90 degrees to make it vertical. Maybe for that one I'd be better off with a L-bracket mount.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see some people using L-brackets (see below) to mount their dome cams so the dome is pointing to the ground rather than just mounting it to the wall with the dome facing outwards and adjusting the camera downwards. For quality of pictures is it better to use a L-bracket and mount it facing downwards? What about for a PTZ dome too? Thanks for any advice.
Hi @bradner

Most fixed in place cameras can be mounted on the wall, on the ceiling, on an incline,..

However, for PTZ they are designed to be mounted a particular way. The motors, gears, and balance of the camera are all intended for a certain orientation. Changing that orientation will cause issues, from additional wear and shorter lifespan, to a potential malfunction. Chances are some models which are more over engineered / built will do ok for longer. Those on the marginal design / build will fail earlier.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi @bradner

Most fixed in place cameras can be mounted on the wall, on the ceiling, on an incline,..

However, for PTZ they are designed to be mounted a particular way. The motors, gears, and balance of the camera are all intended for a certain orientation. Changing that orientation will cause issues, from additional wear and shorter lifespan, to a potential malfunction. Chances are some models which are more over engineered / built will do ok for longer. Those on the marginal design / build will fail earlier.
Thanks for that explanation. I've just ordered a L-bracket for my PTZ dome camera.