Don't lie to the government about NDAA

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They really butchered spelling hikvision and dahua.
What an idiot, he had a lucrative government contract probably charging triple and could have easily sourced nada compliant cameras.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What an idiot, he had a lucrative government contract probably charging triple and could have easily sourced nada compliant cameras.

The contractor's lawyer defends him, stating "....“Today’s charges do nothing to strengthen national security, and do not accomplish the McCain Act’s intended goal of protecting U.S. infrastructure.”

That does not matter one way or the other. His client deliberately chose to disregard the specifications that he bid on and was awarded to suit his own desire? Hell, no...you've heard this before: "Throw a rock at a pack of dogs and the one that yelps is the one that got hit." The crooked contractor got caught, that's probably his only regret. I dealt with contractors, plans, specs and bids for 30 years, 25 in the gov't. sector. For every 10 honest contractors there's usually one that's not....and that one can cause you enough grief to last a lifetime and cause you to be more vigilant in the future and put everyone under the magnifying glass.

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, they have butchered the spelling :rofl:.
state that the equipment came from one of the three companies listed as prohibited in the legislation: Hytera Communications Corporation, Hangzhou Kikvision Digital Technology Company and Dahuya Technology Company.
Or is it lazy journalism.... it doesn't look to be referenced as a quote :D.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score

I do not believe butchering the names was a accident. Any half wit editor would have picked up if one of them was misspelled but both? How does that get by them. Lets not piss off the Chinese GUV. N.J. "Advanced" media they call themselves.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Besides, the contractor is wrong when he says “Today’s charges do nothing to strengthen national security, and do not accomplish the McCain Act’s intended goal of protecting U.S. infrastructure.” Prosecuting him to the fullest extend of the law and making an example of his clearly illegal activity may deter others from trying the same thing.

I've said it before, but while I use these brands of cameras on my personal network and don't have anything to fear by doing so, I am also 100% in support of the ban. Regardless of the political motivations for passing this ban, it actually does help improve our national security. I know a lot of people would argue that a properly set up network would prevent any harm from using these cameras (which is why I use them on my personal network), but that is a short sighted concept of the level of network security that our government and other sensitive faculties needs to be applying. Just look into the Stuxnet virus to see how advanced electronic warfare can be - especially from state sponsored groups that have the money to accomplish almost anything. Stuxnet was a single purpose virus that worked it's way into a secure facility and onto a completely isolated network (ie zero outside connections) without the hackers having physical access to the facility. Imagine how much easier it would have been to accomplish if the hackers could have loaded the virus on a device that was going to be installed in the facility - by the very people who ran the facility! By allowing these cameras into government and other sensitive facilities, we are potentially installing a real trojan horse that would make the hackers job that much easier. The hackers are state sponsored and the companies are (at least partially) state owned - it absolutely could happen and the ban is designed to be just one more layer of a very complex security scheme.

Last edited:

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Before finding this forum & its wealth of info, I was dealing with a "local" surveillance and security company, claiming to have everyone from DoD to fortune 500 as clients, and all are allegedly as happy as larks. Plus, they sell "NADA compliant" equipment. After dealing with the company on behalf of our church, I became extremely suspicious. Ordered a camera from them, which they sell as their own brand. They implied part is they are selling US made equipment. Lie. Not only did they sell me an obviously rebranded Dahua, but it had been obviously used (wired soldered, scuff marks, other signs of prior use). The company's "30 day money back if not happy" policy, another lie. Refused to allow me to return it ($800 camera), but said I could talk to tech support. Yeah ok right. In talking to my "rep", I questioned the company and their NADA compliance. That doesn't matter to me, as my use is non govt nor corp... but it seems deceitful to me. From what I can tell, this "local" company (which is really nationwide network of work-at-home CSRs and account reps) buys their equipment from a US middleman importer. They buy from a huge electronics exporter in another country (east), who buys from China. Most of the products appear to be Dahua or Hikvision, but with the OEM labels replaced with the local company logo, UPC, and QR codes. When I questioned them about this practice, they essentially admitted as much, but said they hoped to move production out of China soon (to where???).
My question is, how is that NADA compliant? How can anything be truly NADA compliant unless one controls EVERY aspect of production to distribution to end user, including ALL access to any facilities, firmware production, etc etc? Simply buying and rebranding viz a viz multiple middlemen & importers doesn't seem legit to me... but maybe it's just me not understanding this concept.

Anyway, found this site, no longer buying from other vendors, and now will be using Andy (EmpireTech). (thanks for my camera Andy, it's testing out FAR better than anything I've tried yet, you'll be hearing more from me). There's more relevant and useful info here than I've found anywhere, in decades of electronics work.