Doorbell suggestion

vette-kid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We would like to add a video doorbell. Our requirements are that it be simple to install and operate. Must be able to use existing doorbell wiring plus WiFi. Ability to record on my NVR would be a bonus, as would a local monitor, even if it's a stand alone. Apps are great, but honestly we aren't thrilled about viewing on phones due to security concerns.

I understand options are somewhat limited, but seen to be getting better. So what would you recommend? Currently using a hikvision NVR.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jds580s

n3wb
Reaction score
I would recommend the DB2 which can be found under the following product/brands names
Here is the thread that discusses it

It sounds like it checks all your boxes
  1. Just a few screws to install
  2. Uses your existing traditional doorbell wiring for power
  3. Uses WiFi to connect
  4. Supports ONVIF to record to most NVRs (at least the LaView & Nelly's firmware do, but they are all cross firmware flashable I purchased the RCA but flashed with the LaView firmware)
  5. The mobile apps are the weak point, each brand offers their own (similar to firmware you can mix and match them). They are not as refined as mass commercial hits like the Ring or Nest apps are, but it sounds like you won't be using an app much at all. (It is required for setup)

vette-kid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been looking hard at that. Is there a way to setup a dedicated monitor in the house? My NVR is upstairs and not really a great location to run to everytime the doorbell rings. I'd like a monitor in the kitchen to view it from. If I could get the NVR video down there too, I would, I just hadn't figured that one out yet.

For this, I think if I record it to the NVR and maybe a cheap tablet for a dedicated for monitor/intercom running the app? Is that possible? My wife won't do apps on her phone.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can any doorbell camera be used with an existing intercom system? I currently have a Panasonic intercom for when someone rings the bell.