DS-2CD2145FWD-I shallow night lighting

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera is adjusting to the light on the door frame. Move the camera into the hall or closer to the door so there is no reflection for the door or frame or add more IR light in the hall. Also get a camera with a 6mm lens.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. Looking at those images that's pretty much what I would expect to see with the camera on its standard settings. If you can now access the NVR in a browser using it's IP address Navigate to Configuration > Network > Advanced Settings > Other and check the "Enable Virtual Host" box. After that you'll be able to access the camera directly by adding the camera port number to the end of the NVR IP address while on the local network. For example - if the NVR is at 192.168.0.100 and you want the webpage for camera 3 . Alternatively once you have enabled the virtual host you will see a hyperlink in the camera management page.

Attachments

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As Southern Yankee has said the wide angle lens is making the camera expose for the entire image and the reflections in the foreground are causing the background to be under exposed. You will be able to improve that even with the wide lens by adding wide dynamic range or playing with the backlight compensation settings but it would be best to schedule these settings as they will spoil the daytime image to a certain degree. You could also turn the camera through 90 degrees and enable image rotation in the camera settings to switch the aspect ratio for a corridor view.

mauretto

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera is adjusting to the light on the door frame. Move the camera into the hall or closer to the door so there is no reflection for the door or frame or add more IR light in the hall. Also get a camera with a 6mm lens.
The actual location is a sample to show the problem. In the final environment I can't move the camera from a similar location. Maybe the different lens could help, let me try.

mauretto

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok. Looking at those images that's pretty much what I would expect to see with the camera on its standard settings. If you can now access the NVR in a browser using it's IP address Navigate to Configuration > Network > Advanced Settings > Other and check the "Enable Virtual Host" box. After that you'll be able to access the camera directly by adding the camera port number to the end of the NVR IP address while on the local network. For example - if the NVR is at 192.168.0.100 and you want the webpage for camera 3 . Alternatively once you have enabled the virtual host you will see a hyperlink in the camera management page.
BINGO! Now I can access the Cam GUI and finally I can set more parameters (thanks!). I'll wait the dark to try new settings. See you tomorrow for further updates.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is HLC? My GUI is not in English language.
High Light Compensation. If you have bright lighting in the scene it will help prevent the camera from under exposing the rest of the scene. Not relevant in your example. Try setting WDR On and setting level around 15 as a starter.

mauretto

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update:
I tried several settings, I can improve a bit the night vision, but still the result isn't acceptable. Reading the HikVision catalog I guess all the POE ip cam have limited IP range. Maybe they have not enough power to supply the ir led? Similar models in analog mode have 40+ meters of IR range.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just an update:
I tried several settings, I can improve a bit the night vision, but still the result isn't acceptable. Reading the HikVision catalog I guess all the POE ip cam have limited IP range. Maybe they have not enough power to supply the ir led? Similar models in analog mode have 40+ meters of IR range.
I'd take any specifications of IR range or minimum lux levels from manufacturers with a pinch of salt - they are not reliable and I'd only ever use them perhaps as a comparison between different models of the same manufacturer. Many of the IP turrets specify a range of 40 metres but realistically what do you expect to see at that distance with a 4mm lens and 98 degree field of view. For a corridor I'd try a model with a 2.8 - 12mm varifocal and narrow the field of view as required.